It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO is an Obsolete and Misleading Term

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 08:08 PM
link   
The term “UFO' is con notated with “flying saucer” both are incorrect, I feel that to be taken seriously by the larger population, we need to change our paradigms
U.F.O. By definition, means “unidentified flying object” in my opinion, that is a very narrow or “terrestrial” view. IF what we see are craft from some “other” place, they don't exhibit flight characteristics, Hence they do not “fly”. Somethings have been observed in space video from NASA, no “air” out there, again no “flight” ( flight being something aerodynamic) and not to mention underwater lights that have been observed. I would like to change the nomenclature to something a bit more a. objective, and b. more generic, say a U.O.O. ( unknown observable object ) then to use subcategories such as U.A.O. ( unknown aerial object ) and U.U.O ( unknown underwater object ). UFO can still be used by anything that shows flight characteristics, ( new black project planes etc) but that will mark terrestrial from non terrestrial objects

Just my 20 cents worth

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Agree.
I call them the IFO.
Identified Flying Object

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 05:01 PM
link   
thedigirati,

I like the direction you are going but it is gonna take some time for your new terms to become commonplace! It makes perfect and logical sense and we should get this nomenclature going here on ATS first don't you think??

Also, due to the opinions of other members, are you open to the term being tweaked a bit here and there?? I have no suggestion otherwise by the way, it's an ambiguos term that we got used to in the first place!

One last thing.....is your avatar a pic of you or of something not really related....either way I have a question for you once you get back to this post!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 05:58 PM
link   
No, I have no problem at all with tweaking it, , I'm quite open to it in fact, those were just off the cuff as it were, (my Avatar is my Lovely better half, she keeps me young)(I edit and spell check his post's too, the better half)

[edit on 8-2-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Ahhhh, got it..sort a team deal...very nice! My question to whomever is reading this was based on a sci fi show that i thought was what the avatar was from but alas, i have my answer.
I only mention the tweak because it's going to be something that will have to sorta roll off the tongue as UFO does/did...

I like the idea big time though so far....props to the post.

Mondo

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   
Well considering that they can come up with a Klingon dictionary, I'm sure that folks can come up with a better 2 or three letter acronym that would be better suited (U.F.O was a stolen acronym from the military, I'm certain they have changed/updared it by now)

www.mufon.com...

The acronym UFO - for Unidentified Flying Object - is so prevalent and commonplace today, that it's easy to forget the term is only about fifty years old.

......Capt. Edward J. Ruppelt says unequivocally that "UFO is the official term that I created to replace the words 'flying saucers'" (Report on Unidentified Flying Objects, Doubleday, 1956, p. 6). Presumably, this would have been sometime between 1951, when Ruppelt took over Project Grudge, later renamed Blue Book, and September of 1953, when he left the agency and the Air Force.

[edit on 8-2-2007 by thedigirati]

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 06:47 PM
link   
might not be a bad idea but then I wonder how many would really take it serious, right??
Again, I really think you guys are onto something and should just roll with it...since you are the OP, I suggest that you get to edit/modify/delete any suggestions....I hereby give you executive authority on this matter!

By the way, where y'all from??

Peace, Mondo

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
we live in the heart of Texas, Near Ft hood, a nice quiet area that is great for sky watching and research, it's a slower pace then Up north, gives one time to reflect and think, we have been here for about a year now, previously we lived on the west lakeshore of Michigan and saw many odd thing over the big lake

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:08 PM
link   
you have a u2u that awaits you, The area in the south sounds nice to view things that go bump in the sky!!

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Alas, we have been on here awhile, we just recently Joined and do not have all priviliges as of yet

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
do youi know how to u2u?? you really only need 50 points I think, or how bout the ATS Chat??
Please reply via the u2u or this thread i suppose!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I like UAP, Undentified Aerial Phenomena. I think that is a good catch-all.

posted on Feb, 8 2007 @ 08:18 PM
link   
UAP is great, but what about the underwater thingies???? No U2U until we have 20 posts darn it

posted on Feb, 9 2007 @ 07:46 AM
link   
UAP is sorta catchy for sure....I am going to think about this thread and figure out a good one too! Let's see, it has to encompass all aspects of above/below water stuff right??

About the posts, keep going, I see you have the points so I don't really understand but just keep posting and please send me a u2u when you get there!

Peace, Mondo

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:14 AM
link   
Just saw this thread this morning, I am glad to see others do NOT like the term UFO either

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 07:24 AM
link   
Not that I necessarily disagree with you but...

In the 1980's my good frined and business partner started a business in a certain town. Although very nice in may respects and with a rich, historic tradition, this town had a number of compelling challenges --- especially as regarded growing the business sector. Our bankers urged us to become involved in the local Chamber of Commerce. Not excited about it, we eventually relented and began attending meetings. With all the problems facing the town we were surprised to find that the topics of discussion at these meetings was changing the name of the chamber and what kinds of cheese toserve at the meetings. This theme continued meeting after meeting. We would have meetings where we'd all compile and submit lists of problems that needed addressing but the focus would always come back to the name and the cheese.

What does this have to do with UFO's? I think it's obvious. There are a great many compelling issues surrounding UFO research and disclosure. Changing the name now will do nothing to address these far more compelling issues. And it will tend to fragment the 'brand'. Just my $.02

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:28 AM
link   
what my point is is that we need a paradigm shift, MSM looks at anyone reporting a "UFO" sighting as a "kook" to be ridiculed or to be belittled, if the same person reported a "UAP" the MSM "MAY" be less likely ridicule them because of the nomenclature involved, the "common" person, would be more likely to read or listen to a "UAP" report rather then dismiss anything that would be related to a "UFO". The stigma attached to the term "UFO" makes most think of it as something out of scf fi or complete fiction, but using a more "PC" term MAY help to get more main stream analysis done. I agree that using teams like "ATEV" would be no better then using UFO, and for the same reason, it is reaching for an unconfirmed conclusion, but a "UAP" is more neutral, with may bring forth more scrutiny.
Very few "professionals" would be willing to stick their necks out investigating a "UFO" but they might for a "UOO", "UAP" or "UWP".

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
thdigirati,

I think you have made a very valid point. Any new terminology would probably replace the old terminology in time, but I do think that people in general would be more willing to look at something new as far as the terminology goes. You mention, "paradigm shift", which is in dire need right now.
Just as marketing goes, sometimes all you really need is a change of product name to get the recognition that needs to be there. I think the term UFO distracts more people than it attracts since it is such a grey area of skeptisism anyway. I like your idea and the supporting evidence that you make to back it up!!!

Props to you for the thought shift!! Peace, Mondo

P.S. I have also voted you for the Way Above Top Secret Award, cheers

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:18 PM
link   
thanks, I still think that ATS should start a new competition on this, it would be great to get more people involved on this endeavor

posted on Feb, 13 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
I call them triangle craft, they are the most popular nowadays.

Some ball lightning types might still exist in Mexico and Central
Europe.

America and UK, and Australia have the triangles.

They all look that way when the Belgium Triangle and other
characteristics are taken into effect.

So no more UFO, except for some not of the above two types.

Its difficult to judge though.

join