It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storms Rip Across central Florida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:33 AM
link   
Hi all,

My mate got a phone call from his mum today saying that Florida was getting battered with Hurricanes. I havent found this on the news in the UK yet but I found the story on fox news to which I have provided a link for.

Fox News - Breaking News

Isnt it strange that this is happening in Febuary, I thought this only happens in the summer, Am I right?

Fingers crossed for people who have family out there

One Love

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Not hurricanes. Tornado's and while yes it is unusual for Feb it's still warmer than most states and can occur.
I have family there and it is my home state.
If the waters are warm enough and there is enough moisture in the atmosphere then we can get wicked storms.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 10:53 AM
link   
While they're most common in the spring and early summer, strong, tornado producing storms can and do occur at any time of year in the southeastern United States.

Here is a table showing reported tornadoes from 1950-2004 by month:

www.hprcc.unl.edu...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Oh this is horrid and i hope that all our member in the area are ok,

14 dead.

LADY LAKE, Florida (CNN) -- Suspected tornadoes rocked central Florida residents out of bed early Friday, killing at least 14 people and ripping long swaths of destruction through neighborhoods, said Lake County spokesman Christopher Patton.

Many residents said they were unaware trouble was coming and didn't hear warning sirens.

The National Weather Service warned about the coming storm, which struck quickly in the middle of the night.

www.cnn.com...

theres alot of damage,

Some of the worst damage was reported in Lady Lake in Lake County. Mobile home parks were hit, including Sunshine Mobile Home Park in Lady Lake and another one near Spencer's Loop, the sheriff's off said.

A distraught young woman said a friend, a 17-year-old girl, was killed in one of the parks. "I'm so sorry. I really am," she said, adding that she used to wait for the bus with her every morning.

www.alertnet.org...

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   
man imagine living in a state that has hurricanes and tornados.

hitting at night must of made it a whole lot worse. was it predicted. those mobile homes must be no shelter at all against those things.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 09:39 PM
link   
I'm watching the coverage on this story and am stunned by the devastation!!!

This is amazing.

Those poor people.

EDIT: Interesting side note:

Tornado to be 1st assessed by new scale

A tornado that devastated central Florida will be the first categorized under a scale that went into effect Thursday, weather officials said.

More...

[edit on 2-2-2007 by loam]

top topics

join