It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO symbolism in historical artwork

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:55 AM
link   
Have read about a number of these before, but just came across a site whihc does a much better job than I could of collating and displaying them.

Unfortunately there is not a huge amount of investigative information on each picture which is where you guys come in ;-)

Feel a bit of a cheat just providing a link, but the way this guy has put this stuff together fits the purpose.

www.ufoartwork.com...

Cheers,

Q

ps - if this is all ready a well known source then just shut my thread down.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 09:25 AM
link   
Hi again, Quackmaster.

Wow - those are great! Never seen so many together in one place. Well worth looking at. Particularly the Aborigine ones of aliens - kinda freaky! In the days before photoshop......remind me alot of some of the ancient artwork Erik Von Daniken put together for Chariots of the Gods.

Some, not so good.

WHat I find interesting is just how many of these there are, almost as if it wasn;t considered unusual at all. Impossible to say what was unusual or not in aboriginal culture, but certainly in the later Christian art this is strange, as I would have thought medieval christians would see this as occult and therefore eveil, akin to witchcraft.

Maybe the associaition with Christ changes this? Does anyone know of any recorded mention of why these ufos (if thats what they are) were included, and where the idea stems from?

Was this just a fad in certain art forms, or are the Christian pictures with ufos based on something? Some previous record or claim?

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 12:28 PM
link   
The reason there are so many U.F.O's pictured with Christ is because these artist were trying to catch the imagry from the Bible. This makes it even more fantastic, because they were painting U.F.O.'s without knowing what they were painting.

The Bible is filled with references to U.F.O.'s, they call them Clouds and Chariots of Fire. I will give you some examples.

The Cloud that followed Moses and the Israelites hovered, glowed in the dark, a voice came out of the Cloud and Moses was taken up into the Cloud.

Exodus 14 19:20

19 And the angel of God, which went before the camp of Israel, removed and went behind them; and the pillar of the cloud went from before their face, and stood behind them: 20 And it came between the camp of the Egyptians and the camp of Israel; and it was a cloud and darkness to them, but it gave light by night to these: so that the one came not near the other all the night.

The Cloud was in front of Israel and then it removed and went behind Israel between them and the Egyptians. It was darkness to the Egyptians but it gave light at night to Israel.

Exodus 24:18

And Moses went into the midst of the cloud, and gat him up into the mount: and Moses was in the mount forty days and forty nights.

The Cloud gat him up and took Moses in the mount.

Exodus 34:5

And the LORD descended in the cloud, and stood with him there, and proclaimed the name of the LORD.

The Lord descended in a Cloud.

Isaiah 19:1

The burden of Egypt. Behold, the LORD rideth upon a swift cloud, and shall come into Egypt: and the idols of Egypt shall be moved at his presence, and the heart of Egypt shall melt in the midst of it.

This verse says the Lord rides upon a swift Cloud.

Here's the Transfiguration on the Mount

Luke 9: 34-36

34 While he thus spake, there came a cloud, and overshadowed them: and they feared as they entered into the cloud.

There came a Cloud while he spoke and we know that U.F.O.'s can appear out of nowhere. The Cloud overshadowed them and they feared as they "entered" the Cloud. Why would they have fear if they were with Jesus? The same way many people today would show fear if a U.F.O. appeared over their heads. They then entered the Cloud.

35 And there came a voice out of the cloud, saying, This is my beloved Son: hear him.

There was a voice that came out of the Cloud.

36 And when the voice was past, Jesus was found alone. And they kept it close, and told no man in those days any of those things which they had seen.

This is very interesting, after they heard the voice they were found alone with Jesus. This is a classic example of what is called missing time. So you have to ask, why is the Bible describing a visitation account? There's no other explanation.

Acts 1:9

And when he had spoken these things, while they beheld, he was taken up; and a cloud received him out of their sight.

Jesus was "taken" up and a Cloud received Him.

These are just a few examples.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 04:17 AM
link   
Thanks Polo for the info, I love the way the bible keeps popping up in nearlly every topic, strange that the average persons interpretation of it is ficitonal and they dont really understand its historical undertones.

posted on Feb, 2 2007 @ 07:35 AM
link   
Thanks - I hadn;t realised there were so many references in the Bible. Guess I need to go back and re-read!

It s tricky imagery - God is so usually associated in with being in a Heaven that is "above" that clouds are an obvious link. The references to entering into the cloud, and the cloud carrying Moses up the mountain are very interesting though......

Despite these references, it is interesting that many artists' depictions are so flying saucer shaped, and not just cloud or chariot shaped. It makes we wonder where this information came from. Did they have their own experiences, or were they drawing on contemporary reports? Or something else?

new topics

top topics

join