It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Approaching Brown Dwarf?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 01:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThePieMaN
Could he be talking about Nibiru/Planet X maybe? Tried googling "approaching brown dwarf" and came up with nothing and then did a search with "3600 year orbit" and that popped up.

haha, exactly what I though when I read the 3600 yr orbit. He might have gotten his info form the nibirian council website,

Urn

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anomic of Nihilism
Neptune rotates on its side,

just nitpicking here, but its Uranus that rotates on its side.

could we be talking about sedna here?
www.spitzer.caltech.edu...

sure sedna is only about the size of pluto.....and its orbit is 10,000 years instead of 3,600 years
.....but it's the closest possible/logical comparison i can think of...

cuase there definatly ain't no brown dwarf in orbit around our sun...

[edit on 1-2-2007 by Urn]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Man I'm doing badly all over the place to night.....

I should have gone to bed 10 hrs ago.

sheesh, ar well, life goes on

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 06:42 AM
link   
very interesting, I'll mark 2012 on my callender =D. I remeber seeing something about a bible code predicting a asteroid impact in 2010. So if we dont get smashed by an asteroid maybe the brown dwarf is gonna do in the human race. I cant wait to see what happens. Maybe we can blow the brown dwarf up nuclear weapons

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Come on man give me a link, or some photos. If its just your ravings tell us up front please.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 02:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChocoTaco369

Originally posted by Rockpuck
Picking up moons. Not Possible.

I hate statements like this. We are humans. We know very little about the universe. Who are you to say what is possible and impossible? You've never even taken a step on another world. The point I'm trying to make is that nobody is qualified to say what is possible and what isn't possible. I'm simply trying to point out that since objects in space move at fantastic speeds, there could surely be a brown dwarf near our solar system far enough away but moving fast enough to collide with us. I realize stars are variable. Perhaps it's moving even faster. Perhaps it's moving 3 times faster than our sun. In this case, we won't be able to see this thing with the naked eye until a few months before collision. What if it's moving 10 times faster? We may only have weeks before collision before we see it. We just don't know and we can't prove or disprove anything. The only thing we can do is give our opinion, but please, don't act like it's a fact. If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that nothing is impossible. Don't discount anything.

2012 seems to be a pretty significant date. It seems like there's a good chance something will happen...but what? Alien contact? Planetary collision? A mass extinction? Absolutely nothing? Who knows, but planet X/brown dwarf collision makes for an awesome tale, and there's plenty of circumstantial evidence out there to support it. Only time will tell. Hopefully I'll still be around to see it. I'm only 20, so I pray to God I will be!

I hate statements like that. Well I can imagine it so it must be possible!

No. The laws of psychs are applicable to every thing.. they do not change.. the principle of gravity is the same through out the universe, large objects have a massive gravitational force while small objects do not (hence why we are not orbiting the moon, the moon orbits us.)

But I guess that's to logical, to practical for you? We track objects the size of baseballs.. you suggest something many times the size of Jupiter went unseens because what? .. its "brown" or "red" ... right. That's logic.

Something that big just doesn't come out of no where, your math calculations are flawed beyond belief .. though someone tried nicely to explain that to you and you retort (how do you know!) .. I suppose we ought to just bring in a soap box and allow you to dictate how our universe works, because apparently the current theory is wrong in your eyes.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Picking up moons. Not Possible.

I hate statements like this. We are humans. We know very little about the universe. Who are you to say what is possible and impossible? You've never even taken a step on another world. The point I'm trying to make is that nobody is qualified to say what is possible and what isn't possible. I'm simply trying to point out that since objects in space move at fantastic speeds, there could surely be a brown dwarf near our solar system far enough away but moving fast enough to collide with us. I realize stars are variable. Perhaps it's moving even faster. Perhaps it's moving 3 times faster than our sun. In this case, we won't be able to see this thing with the naked eye until a few months before collision. What if it's moving 10 times faster? We may only have weeks before collision before we see it. We just don't know and we can't prove or disprove anything. The only thing we can do is give our opinion, but please, don't act like it's a fact. If there's one thing I've learned in my life, it's that nothing is impossible. Don't discount anything.

2012 seems to be a pretty significant date. It seems like there's a good chance something will happen...but what? Alien contact? Planetary collision? A mass extinction? Absolutely nothing? Who knows, but planet X/brown dwarf collision makes for an awesome tale, and there's plenty of circumstantial evidence out there to support it. Only time will tell. Hopefully I'll still be around to see it. I'm only 20, so I pray to God I will be!

I hate statements like that. Well I can imagine it so it must be possible!

No. The laws of psychs are applicable to every thing.. they do not change.. the principle of gravity is the same through out the universe, large objects have a massive gravitational force while small objects do not (hence why we are not orbiting the moon, the moon orbits us.)

But I guess that's to logical, to practical for you? We track objects the size of baseballs.. you suggest something many times the size of Jupiter went unseens because what? .. its "brown" or "red" ... right. That's logic.

Something that big just doesn't come out of no where, your math calculations are flawed beyond belief .. though someone tried nicely to explain that to you and you retort (how do you know!) .. I suppose we ought to just bring in a soap box and allow you to dictate how our universe works, because apparently the current theory is wrong in your eyes.

You forgot something: "Known" laws of physics. We don't know everything, so enough with the ego trip. You don't decide what is possible and what isn't. In my imagination, it's not so much as a "pick-up", but more like something of a collision. Picture this: the two planetary systems pass through each other, a very few planets/moons collide. Everything gets thrown out of whack, and over thousands, maybe hundreds of thousands, maybe millions of years, the moons/planets are picked up by other planets. This would explain a lot of things: Earth's giant (by comparison) moon, Titan having an atmosphere, Mimas, Saturn's moon, looking like the death star from a giant collision where possibly another planet/moon crashed into it, Iapetus where it looks like it's been squished and the center jumped up to form a giant wall...no one is saying the moons were picked up by gravity instantly, but more like as the two systems pass through each other, maybe 1 time in 1,000, a moon/planet collides and goes spinning out in space and over millions of years, winds up in our orbit somehow. It explains a lot of things in my mind. The sideways orbit of Uranus, the retrograde orbit of Triton, Venus rotating so slowly backwards...think about it.

[edit on 1-2-2007 by ChocoTaco369]

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I will go out on a limb here.

I will drink some alcohol, use the vast resources of the internet - till I get board.

And GIVE YOU A VERY NON-COMMITAL answer. Just to shut you kids up. PEACE!!

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Okay - Nibiru, which orbits our Sun every 3,600 years arrived on Earth some 450,000 years ago and created humans by genetic engineering of female apes (www.world-mysteries.com...)

Which means it must have been here 125 times already! full of ****! Read on, he reckons earth has GOLD that can be used to protect Nibiru's atmosphere.

Gold was never created on this planet. Little tip - if talking to ladies:
Astronomers will suggest that the heaviest elements such as gold, platinum, and palladium. Formed in the early universe as a result of neutron star collisions. These neutron-rich explosions caused by the spiraling together of neutron stars were the most POEWRFUL EXPLOSIONS IN THE UNIVERSE, and probably accounted for the formation of the neutron-rich heavy elements such as gold.
Gold was created in the stars, no process on this earth could of created it. Ask any geologist. We are ‘blessed’ with a small amount of this material.

As far as planet X supporting life - it's surface is supposed to be cold, 1000 deg C. If it is a failed star, could it support life? The same 'life' that influenced our development?

Other threads suggest the moon is an artificial construct; there are bases on mars?

Another suggestion is that planet X is a very large vehicle. A massive planet like object is not a vehicle, as you have no decision as to where you end up?!? Also life on board would suck cos of gravitational / heat and everything else being chaotic.

3600 years would be a very long time to wait. If planet X exists its full of very old, very pissed off hungry beings that just want a hug.

Booze, yet again has got the better of me, I am going to sleep. Thank you.

posted on Feb, 1 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

You forgot something: "Known" laws of physics. We don't know everything,

At the very least, we can say that nothing we know shows that this can happen.

I mean, its pretty meaningless to say 'well, technically, nothing is immpossible, since we don't know everything'.

x08

posted on Feb, 5 2007 @ 01:16 AM
link   
a little off track here.. i am not claiming or denying the existance of anything, but just a theory regarding the speed of the supposed brown dwarf.

objects orbiting at a further distance move at a slower speed than those orbiting closer. I would presume that this would be due to the amount of gravity exerted (sp?) on them.... the further away you are, the less gravity there is affecting you.

now, this 'planet x' supposedly has an elliptical orbit, heading closer to our sun and then further away. much like pluto. would not these planets speed up when they approach the sun? the speed created then allows them to escape the closer orbit, but the gravity is still acting on them and causes their speed to reduce

as such, would it possibly be that this 'planet' or 'brown dwarf' would speed up as it got closer??

btw. as for the earth's wobble, CLICK HERE

posted on Feb, 6 2007 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Hello. This my first post. Gliese 710 will approach within 1.1 light years of our solar system. That will put it in the Oort cloud causing more comets. Could it our binary star?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 02:37 AM
link   
I guess if it actually broke off from it's own path, and set upresidence in our Ort Cloud, moving with our system, it would become a binary system.

Otherwise, it is just passing by.

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Maybe I'm missing something here...

...if it returns every 3600 years and reeks havoc with our planet (techtonic shifts, kills everyone and all that biblical doomsday stuff), why is there no physical sign that it happened in 1588 BC? I mean I would think that our civilization would still be recovering from such a catastrophe.

There were many cultures keeping records back then and one would think that another one of those cultures, besides the sumerians and the mayans, would have wrote about such an event. The Egyptians were going strong about that time...did they notice anything out of the ordinary? I'm pretty sure the Chinese were thriving before and after 1588 BC. Why didn't the brown dwarf affect them?

I suppose it could be true that a brown dwarf returns every 3600 years, but if it wasn't an "Earth Shattering Event" (pun intended) last time around, why would we think it will be different this time?

posted on Feb, 7 2007 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Soylent Green Is People
...if it returns every 3600 years and reeks havoc with our planet (techtonic shifts, kills everyone and all that biblical doomsday stuff), why is there no physical sign that it happened in 1588 BC? I mean I would think that our civilization would still be recovering from such a catastrophe.

Well, it seems to me that the earth and man were way better equipped to handle something like this back then. They didn't have water lines, power systems, skyscrapers, etc, etc, to be destroyed and then have to deal with the mess. No, back then you had a guy living in a hut that got leveled and a couple days later he built a new one.

Primitive man would have had much better luck in dealing with a scenario like this than modern man. Primitive man could recuperate quickly, but not modern man. No way.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join