It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Herouxville Sets Code Of Conduct For Immigrants

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 06:48 AM
link   
The Council of Herouxville, Quebec has published a code of conduct for new immigrants and are asking the federal and provincial governments to give the information to any immigrants that might be thinking of moving to their area.

Excerpts from the Municipalite Herouxville's "Publication of Standards"

So that the future residents can integrate socially more easily, we have decided unanimously to make public certain standards already in place and very well anchored in the lives of our electors.

Our Women We consider that men and women are of the same value. Having said this, we consider that a woman can drive a car, vote, sign checks, dance, decide for herself, speak her peace, dress as she sees fit respecting of course the democratic decency, walk alone in public places, study, have a job, have her own belongings and anything else that a man can do. These are our standards and our way of life.

However, we consider that killing women in public beatings, or burning them alive are not part of our standards of life.

Our Children Our children are required to attend public or private schools to insure their social development and to help integrate into our society. Any form of violence towards children is not accepted.

In our schools the children cannot carry any weapons real or fake, symbolic or not. The children can sing, play sports or play in groups.

In our families, the boys and girls eat together at the same table and eat the same food.

Welcome! Leave your customs at the door

Obviously these rules are meant to be for Muslims who would be thinking of moving to Quebec and those from the Middle East. Some of the 'rules' are pretty insulting and one of them contravenes the Charter.

Do they think all Muslims beat their children? When was the last time that you heard of a woman being stoned or burnt to death in public in Canada? And yes, students are allowed to carry a kirpan to school - it already went to the Supreme Court.

I'm all for immigrants trying to integrate into society as best they can when they move here, but not by laying out a set of rules as blatantly insulting as some of these are. Way to fan the flames of intolerance, Herouxville.

[edit on 30-1-2007 by Duzey]

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Insulting to say the least.

These guidelines have been etched out as if they are going to reform some paleolithic lifestyle. The condescending tone and insults are quite rampant and little was done to hide them.

The people of Herouxville, Que., say they welcome immigrants to their small town, but there are a few things they want to make clear: for instance, there will be no public stoning of women, and facial coverings are reserved for Halloween.

Could it be more clear?

Mario Dumont, leader of the opposition Action democratique du Quebec, called this month for a Quebec constitution to enshrine the province's Christian-based values, which he said are under attack by the forces of political correctness.

Political Correctness. As if that card has not been played enough recently. Some of these people need to come down of their high horse and begin to realize their is more than one way of life. I would like to think that these "list of demands" are sent right back to where they came from. It seems that Herouxville would be quite the theme park for any Muslim man or woman.

"We are not racists. We invite people from all nationalities, all languages, all sexual orientations, whatever, to come live with us, but we want them to know ahead of time how we live."

It may not be blatant racism and bigotry, but why do they presume that an alternative lifestyle would influence their own. If one Muslim family were to move into the area, and they did not want their daughter swimming with other boys, why would that be such an issue? Odds are, they would keep their daughter from the pool. Problem solved. In the off chance that the parents would make a case over the issue, I don't see how it would be much of a battle. The parents would have no grounds to substantiate their cause.

This is taking political correctness and blowing it out of proportion. After reading the article, a few images of the town become apparent. Meet the norms or bug off.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 04:11 PM
link   
I can't believe how ignorant this is.

The rest of Canada is supposed to accomodate the demands and needs of Quebecois, why can't they practice what they preach? Is Quebec so insecure in their own identity that they can't tolerate people who are different?

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   
It wasn't until I read your second post in this thread that I acknowledged the true hypocrisy in all of this. Quebec has been demanding this "recognition" for so long and that they need to remain true to their history and culture. They do not want to be inundated with our norms and culture, they wish to continue the pursuit of autonomy. Yet they criticize any "outsider" within their own province. We may demand rights for ourselves where others need to respect our culture, but don't think for a damn second we are going to take two looks at yours.

I will refrain from painting everyone with the same brush, but this really leaves an uneasy feeling in my stomach.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Ok, so you tell people coming into your country that they're not supposed to burn people at the stake. What exactly is the problem with that? If I moved to Canada and got such a pamphlet I might laugh but wouldn't find it offensive.

Trying to assimilate immigrants into your culture is important. Multiculturalism is a recipe for disaster.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:19 PM
link   
You probably wouldn't find it offensive because people are not assuming that you, as a white Christian, burn women at the stake and beat your children. It only targets one group of people, those of Middle Eastern descent. We don't tell Oriental people that spitting on the sidewalk, cutting in line and groping/rubbing up against women on transit are unacceptable behaviour when they move here.

I think that some kind of guide on how to fit into Canada would be helpful to new immigrants, but not one written in such a snide and condescending manner that is only directed at one group. One that actually has useful information for all new immigrants would be a better choice.

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 07:25 PM
link   
The problem with Quebec is the Fear of Assimilation

Which is a constant factor we get taugh at school since primary

During the Colonial Era, Great Britain tried to anglicise Quebec and the french canadian feared for their survival

That is also why we have a Law that (in my opinion) breaks the chart of rights and liberties, law 101 which prohibits english advertising in Quebec

It's a matter of cultural survival in general, so I guess the same applies for this town that wish to make it clear to the immigrants they won't let themselves assimilated

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by djohnsto77
Multiculturalism is a recipe for disaster.

I would have to disagree. I think the various cultures within our nation is one of our strongest attributes. I disagree with these random labels like French-Canadian. Ultimately we are all Canadians and that should be the end of it. But the blanket term, Canadian, does not detract from an individuals culture. From the Inuit up north, is Inuit still acceptable...?, to our Mic Mac nations on the east cost. It is the combination of each culture that makes Canada so strong.

-Multiculturalism
Term used to describe many cultures and learning to get on with one another with mutual respect.

www.reefed.edu.au/glossary/m.html

It takes a lot of effort to "keep it together", but I think we do a pretty good job. And as Duzey has said, it is the direction and intention of this that draws it's problems.

Personally, I see assimilation as inevitable. But any assimilation to be assist the individual themself, not the society. It would only make sense for the individual to understand the culture and customs, it would ultimately make their day to day life much easier. But it should not be done to accommodate the society's inhabitants. ...In my opinion.

I have lived in small towns, and I've lived in Canada's bigger cities, I have no problem with dealing with different cultures on a day to day basis.

posted on Jan, 31 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by CanadianGlasnost
During the Colonial Era, Great Britain tried to anglicise Quebec and the french canadian feared for their survival

This was a very valid fear in that time. I guess it takes a long time to get over that way of thinking.

I don't think the rest of Canada expects Quebec to be anything other than what they are and there is no effort to assimilate or turn the province into an english-dominated area, aside of businesses who just want to make it easier for themselves or cater to the english-speaking popluation. I know that if I were ever to move to Quebec, I would want to primarily use french because it would make it easier to fit in.

The way to protect the culture that is unique to Quebec is to celebrate it, show it off and educate people about it, so that the people that move there will know how cool it is and want to be a part of it.

[edit on 31-1-2007 by Duzey]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:19 AM
link   
But I don't want to be banned Duzey...

Who's country is this? Muslim or Canada. Stand up and have some b@!!$.
God man, no wonder people walk all over you. Then again, you should be careful what you ask for you just might get it.

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Is this the new "thing" to do? Enter every thread that exists on the Canadian forum and mock it? Clearly it is we that need to grow a set. While we sit here behind our computer screens, mocking other nations, to substantiate the size of our own, your inferiority has been clearly displayed.

How about attempting to add something to one of the threads you've posted in rather than mocking, ridiculing, and talking in a condescending tone.

Maybe your next round of posts will give us "idiots" something to respond with.

[edit on 16-2-2007 by chissler]

posted on Feb, 16 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Royal76
Stand up and have some b@!!$.

What on earth would I do with those?

As for who's country it is, it belongs to every Canadian. Even the Muslim ones. I support our Charter of Rights so much that I want to see it applied to everyone that lives here. Crazy, I know.

posted on Feb, 19 2007 @ 07:56 PM
link   
Yeah let's grow some balls and Storm those Mosques, organise a few anti-islam Rallies

Round up those muslims in the Hudson bay for being a Threat to National Security!

Let them die by hunger and forced labor

and AFTER we did all that stuff, let us be PROUD of being Canadians hey?

Duzey: Indeed it takes a long time... you would be surprised how much Assimilation is still a subject and a matter of concern in the educational area

Some people would like us to force people to speak french at gunpoint (and im not joking on that one)

Read a bit on that Falardeau Fellow (too bad he hasnt got any style) A good word to describe him is : Asshole

top topics

join