It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Elegant Universe

page: 1

join
share:
TL

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:40 PM
link   
Really interesting documentary.

www.pbs.org...

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Yes, that's an excellent program. I usually post a link to that when questions come up regarding what it covers.

Edn

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Is there any way do download these? I cant watch them in my browser.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:54 PM
link   
A great program. Especially useful to anyone whose interested in "everything" but lacks a rigorous math/physics background.

TL

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by darkbluesky
A great program. Especially useful to anyone whose interested in "everything" but lacks a rigorous math/physics background.

They did that so the mainstream public would watch it and be able to at least somewhat understand it.

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I own it!

It's a GREAT program for people who are interested in the newest Particle Physics and String Theories, but who don't have the math skills (or time) to understand it through normal book studying. It's amazing. Actually, I think it's sold together with a documentary on Einstien now for $30-$40 at the Discovery Channel Store (you can find those in your mall).

I should have waited to buy, I got ripped off a year ago it seems, ha.

Anywho, while we're on the topic. the video said we are living in 11 dimensions. How can one dimension encompass 10 (M-Theory)? The Ed dude said that all 10 of our current dimensions are contained in one larger dimension (or brane). And there are infinite 'branes', each holding their own universes each with their own diverse amounts of dimensions and seperate physical laws.

But how can ONE dimension hold MORE THAN ONE dimension? I wish they would have gone further into their theory...but maybe they just try try not to think about that, as 11 dimensions and branes them selves are just theories...

my brain hurts.

TL

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Since this video was made a while ago (2003 I think), have they discovered anything new since it was made? Like have they found a gravitron (forgot the spelling) they were looking for by using the atom smashers?

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 05:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by TL
Since this video was made a while ago (2003 I think), have they discovered anything new since it was made? Like have they found a gravitron (forgot the spelling) they were looking for by using the atom smashers?

I don't believe so, nor have they found the tachyon (particle that only travels faster than the speed of light). But non-locality has been proven..I think..

His second book, The Fabric of the Cosmos (2004), is about space, time, and the nature of the universe. Aspects covered in this book include non-local particle entanglement as it relates to special relativity and basic explanations of string theory. It is an examination of the very nature of matter and reality, covering such topics as spacetime and cosmology, origins and unification, and including an exploration into reality and the imagination.

^emphasis mine^

from - en.wikipedia.org...

I really need to get that new book!

posted on Jan, 26 2007 @ 07:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arcane Demesne

Originally posted by TL

I don't believe so, nor have they found the tachyon (particle that only travels faster than the speed of light). But non-locality has been proven..I think..

His second book, The Fabric of the Cosmos (2004), is about space, time, and the nature of the universe. Aspects covered in this book include non-local particle entanglement as it relates to special relativity and basic explanations of string theory. It is an examination of the very nature of matter and reality, covering such topics as spacetime and cosmology, origins and unification, and including an exploration into reality and the imagination.

^emphasis mine^

from - en.wikipedia.org...

I really need to get that new book!

I'm not sure if this helps either of you guys, but check it out. A fairly recent thread about a supposedly groundbreaking paper on G.U.T (grand unification theory). Happy reading!

paper

TL

posted on Jan, 30 2007 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Edn
Is there any way do download these? I cant watch them in my browser.

What browser are you using?

EDIT: It works with Firefox 2.0.0.1

[edit on 30-1-2007 by TL]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 06:03 PM
link   
M-Theory / string theory are very good models but the thing is without the basic understanding of mathamatics it is hard to make people understand without the mathamatical explanation. It goes against out logic and perception of the universe etc. Just like when Einstein said that light bends, space is curved etc

These things are easier to understand when you look at the equations rather than try to understand what people have gathered from studing the equations directly. Well at least here you know for a fact that there is some proof for what they are saying, rather than asking people to simply "believe" you.

[edit on 4-2-2007 by IAF101]

posted on Feb, 4 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Have any of you looked into the electrical theory of the universe? It certainly doesn't attempt to unify all the forces we know of, or even attempt to explain the interaction between gravity and electro-magnetism, but it sure seems to make a lot of sense from a personal perception point of view.

top topics

join