It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Illegal Immigrants in the US steal legally if not why can they work and live here without conseq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 10:44 AM
link   
Can Illegal Immigrants in the US steal legally? If not why can they work and live here without consequence?

When I say to steal I mean;

steal - To take (the property of another) without right or permission.
www.thefreedictionary.com...

In order to be here legally you need several documents:
a green card/birth certificate
social security card
driver's license
etc.

How do illegals obtain these documents, and who is helping them obtain them?
With these documents anyone can go out and find a job.

Should employers be free to hire illegals at their discression or should there be consequenses for them?

Using the law of supply and demand a greater cheap labor force of 15 million into a work force of around 200 million would do what to the wages and benefits of those jobs?

[edit on 22-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

[edit on 22-1-2007 by Low Orbit]

posted on Jan, 22 2007 @ 12:59 PM
link   

posted by Low Orbit

“ . . why can [illegal immigrants] work and live here without consequence? [Edited by Don W]

To a considerable extent, because there are so many of them and so few of the ICE agents to track them down. Between the right of privacy, the rules of probable cause, and no profiling, please, it is hard to ferret out an illegal. Those who are caught do face serious consequences including imprisonment, but not usually on the first offense.

People caught in the act of attempting entry are usually just taken back across the border because the offense - attempt - is a misdemeanor and we don’t have jail space for them.

When I say to steal I mean; steal - To take (the property of another) without right or permission. In order to be here legally you need several documents: a green card or birth certificate social security card driver's license etc.

Most illegals buy the documents in Mexico before they come here. The documents are forgeries. The numbers are false. The documents may work or may not according to who is checking it and the purpose it is being checked. Sort of a “don’t ask, don’t tell” approach.

How do illegal obtain these documents, and who is helping them obtain them? With these documents anyone can go out and find a job. Should employers be free to hire illegal at their discretion or should there be consequence for them?

1) Buy the documents in Mexico. 2) buy the documents here but then you are dealing in stolen identities, which caused the Swift and Company raid. Our government is much more worried over stolen ids than forged ids. And rightly so, IMO.

Using the law of supply and demand a greater cheap labor force of 15 million into a work force of around 200 million would do what to the wages and benefits of those jobs? [Edited by Don W]

It dilutes the value of labor. 7.5% in raw numbers using your numbers. Obviously, it cuts wages for everyone. Less for brain surgeons than for gardeners. Employers love it. Already anemic unions are made even less palatable - if that is possible - when there are 2 Mexicans standing by the factory gate waiting for your job. OTOH, Mexicans have a right to eat, too.

[No disrespect meant to anyone from Mexico. I applaud you.]

[edit on 1/22/2007 by donwhite]

new topics

join