It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pinging IP Addresses

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Hi all,

I'm just curious as to what exactly would happen if I were to ping a Govt. IP address, say for NASA or the DoD?

I wouldn't do it, I'm just curious as to the repercussions.

Thanks

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
I dont think it would be a problem unless you actually sent several large packets, this could be interpreted as an attempt to flood and crash the servers..
A basic ping command from a dos prompt sends 4 packets of 32 bytes each to the address u type in, this is nothing.
Also would not recommend any type of port scanning or using a sniffer lol..

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Your IP and possibly/probably various "specifics" (i.e. browser-type, OS, screen resoution, etc.) would be included in their server logs, as with virtually Every other site/server you access.

Most likely that would be the extent of it with no worries, unless of course you were to initiate what KrOnOs mentions Not To Do .

Originally posted by Kr0n0s
Also would not recommend any type of port scanning or using a sniffer lol..

@KrOnOs

[edit on 1/11/2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
if they are smart they just turn it off so anyone cant ping their servers...
smart people do this.

posted on Jan, 11 2007 @ 05:28 PM
link   
if they are smart they just turn it off so anyone cant ping their servers...
smart people do this.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Alright. Thanks guys. I was just curious as to what would happen. I'm not interesting in hacking or anything of that nature. I'm just beginning my studies in Network Security.

sip

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Nothing happens, they most likely won't notice it as the packet would get lost amongst all the other traffic hitting the server. And to the guy above who said your browser details, OS and screen resolution would be logged, oh really? What kind of magical ping packet is this that transports all this information? Ping is nothing more than a Request packet, it sends a Request to a host to see if it is up and running, if the host receives one it sends a reply to the source. Purely legitimate network utility.

sip

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Good point, sip. My bad.

My response was referring to both a ping or a direct IP access via web browser, perhaps I should have clarified it as such.

A ping alone is nothing more than you mention.

[edit on 1/12/2007 by 12m8keall2c]

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 05:17 PM
link   
If you'd really like to know more about what your ping packets would do, consider opening up their website... look at the properties of the web address.

I'm kinda guessing here without actually looking into it, but if the website server has anything really important on it, it would be encrypted (or if they just don't want people snooping around).

I'm fairly certain the Government would keep anything worthwhile of interest to us on a separate server from their web addressed servers, simply of this reason... so I wouldn't worry too much about pinging the addresses... unless of course you know of addresses that are part of their internal system infrastructure.

posted on Jan, 12 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   

I'm fairly certain the Government would keep anything worthwhile of interest to us on a separate server from their web addressed servers

I agree with this. There are probably rooms and rooms with guards sitting outside them in an underground basement with highly sensitive information completely disconnected from any kind of network, whether it be a LAN inside the facility or connected to the internet.

I'm sure there is somebody out there who has the technical knowledge to get into places they shouldn't be. No matter how secure the network is, somebody will get in.

For example, the man in England, who officials say pulled off "the biggest military hack in history" or something to that effect.

He claimed to have seen information regarding UFO's, moon bases, etc. I don't know about all that, but I do believe he got into some places he shouldn't have been, hence his capture and punishment.

new topics

top topics

join