It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Premonition or not? How to know?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Okay, so what *is* a premonition? The best 'definition' that I came up with is:

Premonition means ‘warning in advance’, – ‘a feeling about something that is going to happen.’ A premonition is a temporary state of mind that usually occurs prior to a traumatic event such as accidents, or deaths and is usually caused by anxiety, unease, and a gut-level feeling which induces an apprehension of a probable future event.

However psychic premonitions may also occur very casually. When the phone rings, you at once ‘know’ the caller without any reason. Premonitions may take the form of a ‘gnawing feeling’ which refuses to leave you in peace and prevents you from thinking about anything else.

Premonitions can be differentiated from precognition, as premonitions are more sense-oriented being influenced by a syndrome of psychical unease, depression, or distress that has no explanation, while precognitions are more based on knowledge of the future.
Source

I ask because ever since I was 4, I've had this nagging thought: 'The world as I see it will not be when I die...' I do not understand this as an issue of society changing with time, but rather the change is drastic and severe... like, society will not exist.

However, based on the above definition, on the 'symptoms' provided, I cannot claim that this is a premonition -- I've made my peace with it. If it happens, it happens. I do not lose sleep over it, do not shed tears over it.

As with everything, I take it with a grain of salt and a grain of sugar, and work towards a mental preparation in the event of.

I do not, however, know if this is a serious premonition, or just another product of my over-active imagination, another 'what if' scenario that my mind likes to play on/out. I guess only time will tell.

Any thoughts?

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
Everyone has strange dreams. However, when the strange dream is something supernatural .. you just know. It has that feel that you can't explain. When I have had dreams telling me of future and/or far away events they all had that certain feel. There is no mistaking it when it happens.

A few times I have 'sort of' had a conversation (in my dreams) with a person who has passed away. They were standing a few feet away and they'd talk, but it was like there was a current in the air flowing between us and their words would get carried away. It was hard to hear.

When a premonition hits ... you don't have to ask 'how to know'.... you definately know. You can't mistake it.

posted on Jan, 8 2007 @ 06:08 PM
link   
While my father and grandfather have had premonitions in dreams, I never have. This has been a re-occuring thought.

Staring up at the stars (admittedly talking to/with Orion), I knew that I'd have braces, that I'd have to deal with depression. I wasn't dreaming. I was wide awake standing out in my backyard. (BTW, these things came true.)

The other factor is that I question everything. I know that I have a cup of coffee right next to me -- and yet I wonder if it's really there or not. Meanwhile, I can touch it, and I realize that my coffee is now cold. (damn)
I've learned that 'facts' change - they have to be flexible and malleable in order to survive. So everything that we know is not completely true -- just as close as we can know right now.

So I readily accept that this thought may be true to some extent, just as it might be untrue. I accept all possibilities.

But this thought does not leave me alone. Maybe it's just stuck in my brain? ...a weed that I haven't successfully rooted out?

new topics

join