It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"0-Point" Surviving

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 10:14 PM
link   
Alright people I have been reading some things on this forum and you talk alot about guns and buying alot of supplies, but I have a challenge for you.

The "0-point" Situation

Lets say this was a desastor instead of a hostile takeover by NWO or a new gov. But their most likely will still be alot of violence in the streets.
What would you guys do to survive if all you had after the destastor was the wreckage of your home. (All food supplies and weapon were distroyed.)

How would you survive?
What would you build?
How would youget food?
How owuld you defend yourself?

Are you guys up to the challenge?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 10:35 PM
link   
thats rather easy. simply fall back on your survival practice.
1. secure shelter
2. clean water
3. Fire
4. food
5. make tools & weapons

once the basics are secured, branch out to secondary needs.
with all the crap that litters the out doors finding useful things shouldn't be difficult at all. bartering would be the easiest way to get more supplies.

my questions are where are we talking about and what is the disaster?
knowing the details would make it easier to explain. in any case, i am confident that i could survive the short term and most likely find a way to survive long term.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by shadow watcher

my questions are where are we talking about and what is the disaster?
knowing the details would make it easier to explain. in any case, i am confident that i could survive the short term and most likely find a way to survive long term.

Well lets simply say Katrina, but not with all the flooding that happened. In a heavily urban situation. that woudl take days to get even close to the wilderness.

An ideas on what to make using the wreckage and how to make it?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:00 PM
link   
My guess off the top of my head, for starters if I were home, I'd fill the tub with water and seal the drain as best as I could. Then load up my emergency kits and non perishables up to the bathroom as well.

If I were on the road, I would gather what I could for my trip home, including utilizing all secondary routes possible. Once I had the plan, I would stick to it. I would hope that my family would do their part until I got there. Discussing these things beforehand can save lives.

If my home was part of the destruction, I would seek out the nearest shelter for them and make plans after that. (although I'm sure FEMA would be an issue upon leaving)

If you follow the other threads, you will find just what tools and supplies would be found in different situations. Currently I have been practicing making things on the fly. I just wanted to see how it was done, and I actually find it interesting and fun to do.

The wealth of knowledge on this forum is amazing.

Another thing I have done is to save as many field manuals as I can find. I plan on printing them out and adding them to my extended AWOL bag.

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:05 PM
link   
any links to some of those field manuals?

posted on Jan, 6 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Thats a really silly question because thats exactly what everyone is preparing for. Preparation is 90% mental and 10% tools and supplies.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
Alien_Gamer
I think you will find that most of us on here are very advanced when it comes to survival. Speaking only for myself I can do just fine with or without my supplies. I suspect that the others as well as I started our training with the assumption that every thing would be taken and or destroyed leaving us to survive with just ourselfs.

any links to some of those field manuals?

Try these
www.hometownmich.com..." target="_blank" class="postlink">Simple survival

goverment manuals

Simple survival doesnt have much right now but Ive learned alot from the little they do have. They are moving to a new domain so things are kinda inbetween now

I find the goverment manuals boring as all get out but they contain a welth of information if you can stay awake long enough.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 08:36 AM
link   
I have survived being stranded in deep wilderness far from civilization with not much more more than a good knife and what I carried in the clothes on my back. At the time I had a significantly wounded companion to take care of as well.

As stated above, what one realy needs for survival is knowledge and skills more than supplies. Knowledge and skills wil get you what you need while supplies only last until they get used up.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
Would anyone consider putting themselves in a similar situation as a practice run?

By this I mean enlisting the help of a friend to blind-fold and 'deaf-fold' you and drive you to a location somewhere inside a 50mile radius of your home, and leave you with just the most basic of kit that you can carry in your backpocket to make your own way back (making sure they have marked on a map exactly where they left you, and deciding on a reasonable timeframe for your return before raising the alarm)?

I'm seriously wanting to try this during the next semester break and get me friend to drop me somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Northumbria

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:07 PM
link   

I'm seriously wanting to try this during the next semester break and get me friend to drop me somewhere in the middle of nowhere in Northumbria

Er... dont mean to sound harsh but its not a game... To put yourself in that kind of high risk situation for some macho stunt is crazy. You stand the risk of serious injury, hypothermia and/or death. Even people who are trained in survival skills would not do this without adequate comunications, maps and a good back up plan.

It is much safer to practice your skills in a controlled situation, so that you do not end up waisting emergancy services precious time and money trying to rescue your frozen corpse.

Sorry if i sound patronising but real life is a lot different to Jackass/man vs wild or any of the other idiot TV shows that pull stupid stunts for thrills.

Train for the worse situation... prepare for the worse situation... but dont force yourself into the worse situation for a stunt!

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:39 PM
link   
In good weather conditions you could hike out 50 miles in two days and so long as you can find water, it wouldn't be that difficult a test.

It would be more prudent to simply practice your survival skills while on a normal camping trip. Try and make a fire without matches. Build a shelter from materials found locally. Identify and utilize wild food sources. There are many other things you could do as well. If you are having difficulty you can always crawl into your tent and heat up a meal on your camping stove with little risk involved. Deliberately putting yourself at risk is contrary to the whole idea of survival.

If you do choose to "rough it" as you mentioned, then make sure your plans are very well known to friends/family, bring along a good 2-way emergency radio, the proper clothing, and stick to an area that isn't too extreme.

In my personal experience, living through a survival situation is not something I would do for fun. My life, and that of my companion, was at serious risk, and I value life to highly to play games with it.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I agree, using minimal supplies while camping may be a way to practice, but to put yourself into harm's way on purpose is not a good idea. I try to use things from my b.o.b. on occassion just to stay sharp. I am always tweaking things a bit here and there.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 01:51 PM
link   
I agree 100% with all those who say testeing your kit, getting to know your kit, and getting good with your kit is a priority.

CHECK - TEST. CHECK - TEST.

Get used to it all in the comfort of your own home and garden first - I made many hundreds of fires with nothing but my blade and my fire steels. My neighbours got used to it after a while and actually joined in a few times.
I also make sure each month to spend two nights out in the garden in my bivvie bag and snugpak jacket. Reason? getting used to out door temps through the year, and also that 'early morning outdoor' feeling.. its great, and making the basha also raises eye brows from time to time...rofl.

Now, if any ATS folks from the UK were to say organise a spring / autum trip to say the scottish highlands, im sure we could have a jolly old time practising / exploring new ideas and such.

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I think if you only tweaked that idea a little bit, it would become as safe as a regular camping trip.

Just have the friend come with you and get him to bring the relevant camping gear. That way if you find yourself in too deep just break out the gear.

Otherwise just go on a hike with a full pack of your gear and just get into the swng of using it.

Now, if any ATS folks from the UK were to say organise a spring / autum trip to say the scottish highlands, im sure we could have a jolly old time practising / exploring new ideas and such.

Would be one of the safer ways, and im located up in that part of the country so sounds liek a good idea to me

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 03:26 PM
link   
The intention is to put myself in a situation that is uncomfortable and removed enough from home comfort, but not life-threatening, in an area that I know quite well from camping and mountain-bike expeditions...I'm far from suggesting to do such a thing without sound prior planning to impress or pull macho stunts, as thats when avoidable accidents happen (tho I can see why you raise the concern)

The idea is to push the psychological limit, and acclimatise, as in that way, you know what you can endure and what skills you need to further practice.
By all means we should practice basic shelter building and survival skills, but the real test is to put them into practice in a slightly unfamiliar environment where you are forced to be as resourceful....necessity is the mother of invention as the saying goes

posted on Jan, 7 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   
well, food is no problem, theres 6 billion people on earth and they are all made of meat.

water could be a concern. especially if most of the water becomes contaminated like it was during katrina. I think it is in everyones best interest to obtain some type of industrial water purifyer.

shelter is easy. There will be rubble. there will be plenty of material to work with.

top topics

join