It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blue Origin Release Flight Videos

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:03 PM
link   
public.blueorigin.com...
science.slashdot.org...

"Space start-up Blue Origin (financed by Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos) had a secret test flight on November 13, 2006. They've now released video and pictures of the very successful flight. Looks like they're making good progress."

public.blueorigin.com...

finally see the long awaited video of the blue origin craft.
they kept it neat and tidly under wraps and secretly but know they
released the video .. I passed the link above my comment .
more video's are on the site of blue origin pasted way above in my topic.
on its site several pics whch you can click on to start the video.

[edit on 3-1-2007 by MarkLuitzen]

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:11 PM
link   
Great vid, MarkLuitzen... and the supporting links rock

I see they're hiring too

I wonder how much (H2O2?) fuel it used during the test flight?

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Yikes, my ears are ringing. You should warn people about the very annoying sharp sound on the WMV.

Cool video though, worked out a lot better then Carmacks VTOL rocket.

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I want to see the lanucn of the crayola sponsored craft... the one with the four rockets in the corners as shown on the Blue Origin website.

But seriously, I am glad that more and more people are getting into the Space business. This can only be good. CHEERS to their first sucess!

posted on Jan, 3 2007 @ 09:02 PM
link   
To me it seems like its to small for the amount of fuel it would require to reach space.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 09:58 AM
link   
while i think the video is pretty cool, and definitely agree that competition in the field of commercial space flight is a good thing, i think theyve got quite a ways to go yet. the craft only went up 285ft, and didnt even manage to get back to its original launch pad. it's a good first step, but i think they've got quite a bit of work to do before it's operational. i doubt we'll see an attempt at suborbital flight from this prototype for some time.

[edit on 4-1-2007 by snafu7700]

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:20 AM
link   
Just to clarify for people who might view the video and skim the thread but not actually read the article, the craft we see in the video is called Goddard (named, persumably, after Robert Goddard, a pioneer rocket-builder) and it is not intended to be either a suborbital or an orbital space craft. It is just a proof-of-concept demonstration craft:

Quoted from Jeff Bezos in the article which MarkLuitzen kindly linked to in his first post:
On the morning of November 13, 2006, we launched and landed Goddard – a first development vehicle in the New Shepard program. The launch was both useful and fun. Many friends and family came to watch the launch and support the team.

And good for Bezos! Goddard is a great step in the right direction for Blue Origin. It's great to see more companies getting into the private spaceflight business. With Virgin Galactic rumored to be gearing up for test flights of SpaceShipTwo late this year, 2007 is looking to be a very interesting year for private space flight!

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
which is exactly my point....this program is nowhere near ready to compete in the market.

posted on Jan, 4 2007 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by snafu7700
which is exactly my point....this program is nowhere near ready to compete in the market.

That is not entirely true. "Nowhere near ready" is a relative phrase.

While Bezos is not ready to fly paying customers tomorrow, I believe he is on schedule to take customers into space by 2010. That's the market, BTW, in which he is trying to compete. He wants to take customers into space (which is technically 60 miles up) and back. He is, by most accounts, on track to do that. That's just three years away.

Here's a news link regarding Blue Origin.

cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com...

top topics

join