It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Burning Of Rome 64 A.D.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:29 PM
link   
In 64 A.D. the city of Rome suffered a great fire that supposedly raged for days.
There has been much argument and controversy as to the
causes of this disaster even to this day.
To add some conspiratorial aura to this event it was reported that those who were trying to put out the fires
met some resistance.
From unnamed or unidentified individuals who for some
reason did not want the fire put out.
One explanation is that these individuals may have been
looters or brigands who started this fire to benefit from the
aftermath.
What I want to conduct is a poll or survey regarding this.
Choose one of 3 possible causes that you think was the cause of this .

A) The emperor Nero did it in order to clean up and rebuild
the city the way he wanted it.

B) The christians caused the fire because they wanted to
help bring down this empire or because they hated Rome.
( There have been some who have seriously argued this).

C) It was simply an accident and was probably caused by
carelessness .

D) It was done by looters who wanted a chance to benefit
by this disaster.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:33 PM
link   
I'd say a mixture of all 4 really, nero wasn't exactly a nice guy and he'd welcome the rebuilding of Rome in his own style. The christians were peeved over the whole incident with the lions and the death etc. Now the third is the one i'd rule out, rome had a decent fire fighting service, many buildings were made from stone instead of woods and would not have burned easily. Looters really have nothing to profit with if the entire city is razed to the ground.

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 06:35 PM
link   
oh oooooo......someones been watching Demetrius and the Gladiators! lol

Nero was a wee bit on the loopy side and he probably wanted to rid rome of the christians so which better way than a fire so he could build from scratch.

Did 6yrs of classical studies in high school so trying to remember about that era!

posted on Dec, 11 2003 @ 07:48 PM
link   
maybe it was god starting the fires. but really now, wouldn't it be a sin if the christians started the fire? it would be kind of like the crusader mentality i suppose. if nero started the fire, it would kind of screw up the economy would it not? i figure if there are no real answers, blame the aliens.

posted on Dec, 12 2003 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Nero started the fire because a number of reasons the christians mainly and he was pissed off about some of his friends turning christian. Nero was on the loopy side big time. When rome was buring Nero and his band of loopies and followers were on a huge barge on a river by rome watching it burn and listing to nero play his harp and read them his bad poetry. also all the drinking and orgies on board oiiii the drinking froinlaven.

new topics

top topics

join