It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: FOOTBALL: Brunell expect to play on Sunday

page: 1

join
share:
Ben

posted on Sep, 29 2006 @ 10:27 PM
link   
Washington Redskins quarterback Mark Brunell practiced Friday for the first time this week and plans to start Sunday's game against the Jacksonville Jaguars.

"I feel good. I practiced today, so I expect to play on Sunday," Brunell said. "The arm improved over the course of the week."

The left-handed Brunell needed three stitches to repair a nasty cut in his throwing elbow following last week's victory against the Houston Texans. He has kept the arm wrapped all week to prevent infection.

"He looked very good today, so I think we're all set," coach Joe Gibbs said.

Brunell has not missed a start due to injury since joining the Redskins in 2004, even when various ailments have kept him sidelined during midweek practices. He was especially cautious this week because an infected cut on the same elbow caused him to lose the starting job to Byron Leftwich three years ago in Jacksonville.

Also Friday, defensive tackle Joe Salave'a missed practice with a strained calf. Gibbs said Salave'a's absence was precautionary.

"We think he can play," Gibbs said.

Salave'a did not play against the Texans, but he practiced Thursday.

posted on Sep, 30 2006 @ 01:14 PM
link   
There have been calls for Brunell to be benched, but the game last week's NFL record 22 consecutive completions to start a game may have put an end to that. Of course, they play the Jags (great, great D) this weekend, so the voices may be rising once again.

On a personal note, I'll be at the game tomorrow, look for me in the southern endzone...

:party-smiley-018:

posted on Oct, 2 2006 @ 05:10 PM
link   
Mark was quite impressive in the game yesterday. Of course, the fans helped out a bit, too.
But that help was more for the defense, who neede the help...

join