It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newz Forum: OTHER: CYCLING: Tour Leaders Take It Easy on 14th Stage

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 03:27 PM
link   
With the first few mountain stages out of the way, and a bulk of them comming up, as well as a day off, the Tour de France leaders took it easy to be well rested for the last part of the tour. Voeckler and Armstrong, 1-2 on the leader board were taking it easy inside the peleton, even after a group of 9-10 riders attacked at the end of the run. Voeckler still leads Armstrong by 22 seconds.

Associated Press
NIMES, France - After two torrid days in the Pyrenees and more pain lurking in the Alps, Lance Armstrong and other top riders caught their breath Sunday, allowing Aitor Gonzalez of Spain to win the flat 14th stage.

Armstrong finished in 39th place alongside overall leader Thomas Voeckler. They both had the same time, meaning Voeckler kept his 22-second lead on the five-time champion for at least another day.

Gonzalez was among 10 riders who were so far down in the overall standings that the main pack, which included Armstrong, did not chase the small group that surged ahead with about 55 miles left.

Comments:
Is it over already? They are saying this is it, Armstrong has already won, with several mountain stages left to go. Now, don't get me wrong, I want Armstrong to win, but it would be nice to have some excitement later in the tour. Oh well. GO LANCE!

posted on Jul, 18 2004 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I'd say plenty can hapen yet, he's gotta stay away from acidents and all. And the other guys might make a run at him yet.

new topics

join