It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tully "Monster"?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2003 @ 11:07 AM
link   
A while back I was driving down the highway and passed a U-Haul (moving truck) with a strange looking creature depicted on the side. I looked it up on the internet, a rather odd creature indeed-

"The Tully Monster (Tullimonstrum gregarium) was a soft bodied animal. It preserves as outlines and flattened forms in nodules of ironstone from several areas in Illinois. It lived in the ocean that covered much of Illinois during the Pennsylvanian Period (about 300 million years ago). It was probably an active, swimming carnivore.
The flexible body was probably round or oval in cross section. It may have been segmented, but some recent work suggests that it was not. The tail had horizonal fins and a dorsal fin; all three of these fins were triangular.

The Tully Monster had a long proboscis. At the end was a "jaw" that contained eight small, sharp teeth. There is no evidence that the throat went down the proboscis. It seems more likely that the proboscis was a muscular organ used to pass food to the mouth.

Near the middle of the body was a transverse bar the passed through the body. This bar had swellings on the end. These may have been the animal's sensory organ.

Scientists do not know to what other animals the Tully Monster is related. Some scientists have speculated that it is related to snails and other molluscs."

www.museum.state.il.us...
www.isgs.uiuc.edu...

[Edited on 12-8-2003 by exdog]

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 11:35 AM
link   
am i right in assuming by its fin that it lives in water?

posted on Dec, 22 2003 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by GlobalMind
am i right in assuming by its fin that it lives in water?

Yup
"The Tully monster was a soft-bodied, invertebrate, marine animal�an animal that has no shell and no backbone, and lived in the ocean. "

posted on Dec, 23 2003 @ 10:32 AM
link   
wasnt Tully Monster from Sesame Street?

posted on Dec, 27 2003 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Interesting creature. I have never heard of it before. I will have to read up on it.

new topics

top topics

join