It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UMKHONTO-IR [Spear]

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:14 PM
link   
FINNISH NAVY SELECTS DENELS UMKHONTO MISSILE

Friday, October 18, 2002

The Finnish Navy has signed a multi-million rand contract with Denels Kentron division this week for the supply of Umkhonto-IR surface-to-air missiles (SAMs) and associated fire control equipment. The missiles are meant to equip six vessels of the Finnish Navy?s Squadron 2000 project.

It is believed that the special features of the Umkhonto-IR missile, including its multiple target and vertical launch capability, combined with a competitive proposal, won the day for Kentron.

Industry support from the South African National Defence Force (SANDF) over the past number of years made it possible for the South African Navy (SAN) to become the launch customer of the Umkhonto-IR missile system for its new Meko A-200 Patrol Corvettes, currently under construction in Germany.

The SA Navy?s selection of the Umkhonto-IR enabled Kentron to expand its marketing of the state-of-the-art missile to other prospective clients like Finland.

The fact that Finland is a member of the European Union makes the selection of Umkhonto-IR all the more significant and creates a solid platform for future marketing and sales elsewhere in the world.

Typically the Umkhonto-IR surface-to-air missile system acts as a ship?s primary defensive weapon against incoming sea-skimming missiles and other air threats such as attack aircraft.

The missile is launched from a set of sealed and pressurised cylindrical launch canisters installed below the deck of the vessel. Launched vertically, with autonomous flight control, the Umkhonto-IR missile system provides for all around protection (360�cover) of the ship. A number of missiles (up to eight or more) can be launched at different targets simultaneously.

The 3-metre long missile, weighing 125 kg at launch, takes less than 16 seconds to engage a target as far as eight kilometres away. It has a set of tail-mounted, aerodynamic control fins, as well as thrust vectoring vanes in the motor nozzle, making it highly agile. With its low smoke propellant, the attacking enemy is less likely to notice the missile during flight.

Equipped with an IR (infra-red) seeker and sophisticated guidance systems, including digital autopilot, the Umkhonto-IR missile homes in on its target after launch. By doing such mid-flight guidance to the target , known in military terminology as lock-on-after-launch, saves on valuable time, thus allowing for superior protection of the vessel.

Details:

Lenght 3m
Weight 125kg
Range 12km (up to 10 in height..)
Speed 2,5 mach

UMKHONTO-IR lauch.

Quided missile boat Hamina of Hamina class.. [there will be total of 4 of these.. least 3 are ordered already..]

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
WHAT?????! No S-400's.....? "Supposedly" the best ground to air defence in the world?

Wow.......

regards
seekerof

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:19 PM
link   
Sweet. On a totally unrelated note, only 1 month and 5 days 'til I start my military service at Kontioranta

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Seekerof
WHAT?????! No S-400's.....? "Supposedly" the best ground to air defence in the world?

Wow.......

regards
seekerof

Seeker,

You crack me up!

Seriously..

UMKHONTO-IR out-performed all other available missiles similar to it..
(US/Israeli/Russian/Swedish/UK/French alike..)

Futher note:
UMKHONTO-IR is vertical lauch missile that has 'fire sector of 360' and its to be mounted in pods of 8 in ready to fire position.

And these missiles will be delivered in 2004.

Kentron!

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Is that some kind of stealth ship?

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooking

I remember reading from somewhere that it has some stealth capabilities. I might be wrong, though.

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Paradigm
Sweet. On a totally unrelated note, only 1 month and 5 days 'til I start my military service at Kontioranta

Dont worry,

It will be great fun..

Note:

Dont take your deddy bear with you to there..

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by gooking

Yes it is,

Made out of advanced composites and shaped also for the best stealth effect.
(Composites that are fire/'bullet ' proof and also have good RA qualities..)

posted on Dec, 7 2003 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by FULCRUM

Originally posted by Paradigm

Note:

Dont take your deddy bear with you to there..

I'll keep that in mind

Jo

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Once again, South African technology proves superior!!!

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Wow that looks amazing.
South African tech?
Man, thats amazing.
How much are those?
Deep

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 09:28 AM
link   
Boats are 100% Finnish.

And yes Jo,

South Africans know how to make some of the finest weapons..

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 02:00 PM
link   
i dont really like its range...

only 25 km...

but anyway its not a bad weapon...

new topics

top topics

join