It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Aliens Vs. Infinite Universe

page: 1

join
share:
x08

posted on Dec, 29 2006 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Wasn't sure what to title this topic~

There are currently two popular beliefs. One is that aliens exist, and one is that the universe is infinitely big.

1) If the universe IS infinitely big, then aliens SURELY exist~ the fact that life exists on our planet is proof that there is a % chance that intelligent life can evolve on a planet.... With an infinite universe, comes an infinite number of planets... and any % chance multiplied by infinity~~~ is infinity.. meaning that there is an infinite number of alien lifeforms.

this can be countered by

2) The universe is infinitely big, but there is a finite number of planets etc.

3) The universe has edges, meaning it is not infinitely big~

or

4) The chance of 'intelligent' life is 1 in infinity~ which I find very doubtful.. though even then, 1 in infinity multiplied by infinity is.. infinity? or 1?

posted on Jan, 15 2007 @ 11:48 PM
link   
www.activemind.com...

You might find this interesting. This is a long-standing and widely popularized probability system, along the lines of your thinking. Its not really acknowledged officially or anything close, but I know for sure that many scientists play around and have fun with it, just like you or me.

posted on Feb, 24 2007 @ 07:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by x08
Wasn't sure what to title this topic~

There are currently two popular beliefs. One is that aliens exist, and one is that the universe is infinitely big.

1) If the universe IS infinitely big, then aliens SURELY exist~ the fact that life exists on our planet is proof that there is a % chance that intelligent life can evolve on a planet.... With an infinite universe, comes an infinite number of planets... and any % chance multiplied by infinity~~~ is infinity.. meaning that there is an infinite number of alien lifeforms.

this can be countered by

2) The universe is infinitely big, but there is a finite number of planets etc.

3) The universe has edges, meaning it is not infinitely big~

or

4) The chance of 'intelligent' life is 1 in infinity~ which I find very doubtful.. though even then, 1 in infinity multiplied by infinity is.. infinity? or 1?

Logicaly The universe is not and can not be infinte.

posted on Feb, 28 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   
techicly... the universe isnt infinite... its expanding so infinite is impossible logically seen. i think u might find this site very interesting: external link

new topics

top topics

join