It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How long have you been married?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 04:49 AM
link   
I have been married for 14 years. Not all of them really great, but here in the last 5 years or so things are really picking up. I find that I am in the minority when it comes to how long I have been married especially since it's the only woman I have been married to. I think we have lasted so long because of honest communication and a willingness to support each other.

So how long have you been married and to what do you owe your success?

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:21 AM
link   
13 years, man. I chalk up the success of our marriage to a few things - one has to be the fact that my wife and I grew up together, went to the same schools, that sort of thing. We been knowin' each other a while, ya see.

Another is that our relationship is primarily a friendship born of trust, understanding and compromise. We're buddies.

The main thing that keeps our relationship together is my wife's sometimes bottomless ability to put up with my B.S. Sometimes it's amazing what she tolerates, but as the years go by and the kids grow older I am constantly impressed by what a wonderful person she is (and has always been). It really puts my trivial B.S. into perspective...

My wife RaWxx0RZ

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 07:13 AM
link   
Tomorrow December 28th. my wife and I will have been married for 17 years. Not all were good but overall, the last 17 years have been the best years of my life and I look forward to many many moore

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 10:00 AM
link   
I just celebrated my first anniversary this past November. Not that long yet but I'm for the long haul.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Awww i love to hear how long everyones marrages are, Its a great example to those of us who are yet to take that *Big* Step.

I hope that why i do marry it lasts that long!

Congrats to you all

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 11:31 AM
link   
I've been married 3 times for a total of 13 years and I feel I might have another go at it in the near future; we'll see.

My ex wives are my best friends and I love them more now than ever.

[edit on 27-12-2006 by whaaa]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:09 PM
link   
14 years. We owe our success to a few things.

We make rules. Like if you want something done, do it. No getting resentful of the other person. We also take responsibility for how we feel. We don't say, "You make me feel..." anything. We have a lot of these that we've added to over the years. I think they help a LOT.

We never have called each other a name. When we fight (which we have) we fight fair and consciously and never say something we'll regret later. Sometimes words can hurt worse than anything.

Our relationship is built on respect, equality and accepting the other person as they are. We don't try to change each other. Change comes from within a person. Love comes easy, but respect and honor have gotten us through some pretty tough spots.

Honesty, communication, calling each other's BS and really wanting the best for both of us also helps.

After 14 years, including a few tough ones, it's a piece of cake, now.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:23 PM
link   
Kenshiro, got you beat by 6 weeks. 17 years last Nov. 12th. How she put up with me in the first 7 years is a testement to the womans character. It wasn't easy for her to say the least. Now it's a cakewalk.

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 09:39 PM
link   
As of October 10th of this year I've been married to my husband for 20 years. It does'nt seem like that long though.

Like all couples we've had our ups and downs through the years. I guess we just truly love each other.

We knew each other in high school and both come from the same small town, so we have alot in common as far as that goes.

I would say that I attribute my husband and I being married this long to me being kinda unpredicable and surpriseing in contrast to his kinda "steady" nature.

I keep him from being bored and he keeps me grounded. That's about the best I can describe it.

We're kinda opposites but somehow it seems to work for us.

[edit on 27-12-2006 by elaine]

posted on Dec, 28 2006 @ 03:15 AM
link   
Come Jan. hubby and me will be married 34 years.

new topics

top topics

join