It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Time travel/Donnie Darko

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 12:13 AM
link   
I recently watched Donnie Darko and It got me thinking about time travel and I havge been researching it and the stuff I keep coming across is just poo and dosent make sense, so could anybody enlighten me on the basics of this.

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 27/12/2006 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Dec, 27 2006 @ 05:05 AM
link   
If I remember correctly, Donnie Darko was not about time travel as such, even though the film contains many references to time travel.

Most people don't get this film until they see the Directors Cut, it explains the film in much more detail.

Essentially everything that happens in the Film from the beginning to the part just before the end happens in an alternate bubble universe.

If you like, a tangent universe that has wrenched itself from the main universe. A kind of pocket of space-time.

That pocket reality is collapsing and if it collapses without returning the object that caused the tangent back to the main universe, then main universe would also become unstable.

This all sounds like a good science fiction and it is...

But on the physics side of this, the film has many references to actual mathematically proved theories.

Personally I believe time travel is NOT possible. The reason I think this, is time is not a dimension in the spatial sense.

I won't go into to much detail or it would be a monster of a post, but simply put.....

If you were to be able to travel back in time, you would have to somehow manage to revert the entire universe back to a state it was before.

Every particle, everything down to the Planck level of reality.

There is a theory however that states that as you fall into a black hole, time would slow down for you, but you would see time speeding up from the outside. If a black hole was big enough to last the entire life time of the universe you could witness the universe’s entire life time in a flash of an instant as you fall towards your crunching fate.

I personally think the above about black holes to be incorrect..... But thought you would like to know of the theory.

All the best,

NeoN HaZe.

[edit on 27-12-2006 by Neon Haze]

join