It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

One Hospital I Wouldn't Visit

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 12:40 PM
link   

www.autofx.com..." border=0>

Doctor Removes Wrong Organ During Surgery

A local doctor has been accused of removing the wrong organ during surgery.

NewsCenter 5's Steve Lacy reported that the State Board of Medicine said Patrick McEnaney was supposed to remove a patient's gallbladder but misread test results and removed the patient's right kidney instead at Milford Regional Medical Center.

McEnaney, 34, was placed on probation.

More...

Here's the part I love best:

The hospital said they are standing behind McEnaney, who will be allowed to continue practicing medicine. The board said whenever McEnaney performs surgery, another UMass surgeon has to be on hand. He he also is required to submit quarterly reports.

You know, I'd like to be understanding of such mistakes, but isn't it the height of a profession's arrogance to apply no greater consequence to this kind of "mistake" than simple supervision?

What a crock!

[edit on 21-12-2006 by loam]

posted on Dec, 21 2006 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Last time I went into surgery I had my GF write DO NOT REMOVE on all my limbs and torso as well as a big arrow pointing to the location that is circled, where the surgery will take place. Believe it or not but doctors do this as well when they go into surgery. This types of mistakes are quite common to. And yeah it is a mistake. Doing something you didnt either intend to do or weren't supposed to do. It could be the surgeons fault, it could be the faulty records. My advice to anyone getting surgery is to do as I did and MAKE SURE!!!!

new topics

join