It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

European: Aragones fined over Henry comments

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 1 2005 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Spain coach Luis Aragones has been fined €3,000 for racially insensitive remarks he made about Thierry Henry.

After an investigation by the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) they have decided to fine Aragones although the veteran coach can appeal the decision.

"Alfredo Florez, president of the competitions committee, confirmed this afternoon the sanction for Luis Aragones, who will be able to appeal against the decision if he chooses to do so over the next 10 days.

link

TRD

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:39 PM
link   
2 thousand he was fined, thats unbelievable. He should have got fined a hell of a lot more than that. And they are saying he can appeal??

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
i dont see why he should bother appealing, unless he really feels hes innocent, but 2000, its pocket money to him

i gotta admit, when i read this, i was shocked it was soo little a ammount

posted on Mar, 2 2005 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Luis Aragones' paltry €3000 fine for his racist comments about Thierry Henry has provoked fury.

The Spain manager has been castigated after being caught on television making insulting comments about Arsenal's Thierry Henry to Gunners team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes.

However, the Spanish FA have decided on a minimal financial punishment, prompting furious reactions.

skysports.planetfootball.com...

TRD

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 01:44 PM
link   
I read that he is going to appeal, is he joking?

posted on Mar, 3 2005 @ 03:07 PM
link   
well.. i guess to pay it, is accepting hes guilty, and being manager of spain, i guess he really wants to fight these allegations that it was racist comments,

perhaps if he does accept it, it could jeoparise his management with spain

posted on Mar, 6 2005 @ 09:49 AM
link   

Thierry Henry has called for Fifa to take a moral lead by imposing greater sanctions against Spain coach Luis Aragones for his racist comments.

Henry was angered by the Spanish Football Association's decision to fine Aragones just 3000 euros (£2,060).

"It's up to Fifa to step in - they are the only ones who can do something," Henry told The Sun newspaper.

link

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The National Commission for Anti-Violence in Spain is to appeal to the Spanish Football Federation (RFEF) to try and get the fine imposed on Luis Aragones increased.

Spain boss Aragones was handed a €3,000 fine for racially-motivated comments he made about Arsenal striker Thierry Henry which were captured on television.

The incident occurred at a Spain training camp last October, and Aragones claims he merely attempted to motivate Henry's Arsenal team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes by comparing him to his Gunners' colleague and intended no offence.

link

TRD

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:21 PM
link   
Did you see that if he appeals and the result is the same he could get a heavier fine dished out to him...

posted on Mar, 9 2005 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Did you see that if he appeals and the result is the same he could get a heavier fine dished out to him...

is that for wasting there time

i cant see them changing the minds about this at all. even if he wasnt really intending it, he still did it. and theres no escaping it, he was stupid if he didnt mean it racily

TRD

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 01:50 PM
link   
The guy is a jerk and yeah he did it, intentially or not it was wrong. He needs to be a man and take the punishment and should have been banned for a bit and a huge fine....

posted on Mar, 10 2005 @ 04:18 PM
link   
with what happened, i wonder was the atmosphere between reyes and henry was like?

did reyes come over and say, i dont think the same as the manager. did they keep quiet?

you can imagine it being a bit tension between the pair due to it

TRD

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I think it was Reyes who told him and he was disgusted himself in what Aragones said...

posted on Mar, 11 2005 @ 03:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
I think it was Reyes who told him and he was disgusted himself in what Aragones said...

i wonder how this will all affect his managing of spain

posted on Mar, 19 2005 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Spain boss Luis Aragones has hit out at Arsenal boss Arsene Wenger.

Aragones is unhappy at comments from Wenger suggesting that he should have received a harsher punishment for his racially-motivated remarks regarding Thierry Henry.

Aragones was caught on camera at a training session for the Spanish national team using racist and derogatory remarks towards Henry which he claimed were aimed at motivating the French striker's Arsenal team-mate Jose Antonio Reyes.

skysports.planetfootball.com...

top topics

join