It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Hopkins wins lopsided decision over Joppy

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Associated Press - December 14, 2003

ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey (AP) - Bernard Hopkins, making his 17th middleweight title defense, pounded out a lopsided win Saturday over William Joppy.

Hopkins was never able to put Joppy down, but gave the former champion a beating that caused the right side of his face to swell.

The 38-year-old Hopkins had bet Joppy $50,000 he would knock him out. Despite taking some tremendous punishment, Joppy stayed upright.

``He earned that $50,000 that we bet but I did try to get him,'' Hopkins said. ``The referee was brave for letting him keep going.''

The fight was so one-sided that Hopkins won 11 of 12 rounds on two scorecards and 10 rounds on the third.

``I don't know what it was, but I just couldn't get off,'' Joppy said. ``I couldn't do what I wanted to do. He hit me with some good shots, but he never hurt me.''

TRD

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Looks like he got a easy win..I would like Hopkins turn his attention to more big-money fights, match ups against Oscar de la Hoya and 'Sugar' Shane Moseley should be next...

posted on Dec, 15 2003 @ 11:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Looks like he got a easy win..I would like Hopkins turn his attention to more big-money fights, match ups against Oscar de la Hoya and 'Sugar' Shane Moseley should be next...

I would love to see Hopkins vs. De La Hoya for the Undisputed Middleweight Championship of the World. If thats not a HUGE MEGA Money Fight I dont know what is.

TRD

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   
Yes that would be the fight i would like to see,you know it annoys me when these top fighters avoid each other until they have no options left but to get in the ring.I know its mostly to do with money like win the title fight a few bums and earn some more before they fight a top fighter and maybe lose..

posted on Dec, 16 2003 @ 05:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yes that would be the fight i would like to see,you know it annoys me when these top fighters avoid each other until they have no options left but to get in the ring.I know its mostly to do with money like win the title fight a few bums and earn some more before they fight a top fighter and maybe lose..

Yeah thats basically been the whole pattern in boxing for a long time now.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Looked like a easy win for him,Ocelot yes De La Hoya would be a fantastic fight and it could go either way,man i hope they get this fight on it would be a must to see.

posted on Dec, 18 2003 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Terminator
Looked like a easy win for him,Ocelot yes De La Hoya would be a fantastic fight and it could go either way,man i hope they get this fight on it would be a must to see.

If there's one fighter out there that can beat Hopkins then that fighter is De La Hoya. I think he can beat Hopkins.

new topics

top topics

join