It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Boxing: Johnson Sees Easy Fight Against Lewis

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Associated Press - June 4, 2003

Kirk Johnson blew his first big chance at a heavyweight title when he was disqualified for low blows last year against John Ruiz. He's determined not to let an even bigger chance slip though his hands against Lennox Lewis.

Johnson said Wednesday he not only believes he will beat Lewis, but that it will be his easiest fight yet.

``The bottom line is, when I go into this fight, if I am doing everything right, it will be my easiest fight,'' Johnson said. ``If I use my quickness, footwork and speed, I will be ready to go 12 rounds with great success.''

Johnson will need all of those skills and more when he meets Lewis June 21 in Los Angeles. Lewis' WBC heavyweight title will not be on the line, but Johnson will be recognized as the linear champion should he pull an upset win.

``I do not care about that, because Lewis is the man that beat the man,'' Johnson said in a conference call. ``After I beat Lewis, you will recognize me as the world champion.''

The fight between the two Canadians was supposed to top a card at Staples Center that included Mike Tyson in another fight. But Tyson did not want to fight, giving Johnson even more of a chance to make a splash.

Johnson is 34-1-1, with the loss coming on a disqualification for low blows in an ugly loss to then World Boxing Association champion last July in Las Vegas.

Johnson, who blamed that loss on the referee, said he was the natural opponent for Lewis, even though Vitali Klitschko is the top-ranked contender. Klitschko is on the card, and if he and Lewis win they will meet for the title later this year.

``Who is really out there for Lewis to fight besides me? Someone who has beaten every legitimate contender. The only so-called loss I have is a DQ,'' Johnson said. ``Lewis wants to show everyone he is the only man to physically beat Kirk Johnson. I am not surprised that he wants to be the first fighter to say he beat me.''

Lewis has not fought since stopping Mike Tyson last June in Memphis, but he said last week that the layoff would make him even stronger against Johnson.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 04:04 PM
link   
he seems too cocky for his own good...I hope lewis kicks his ass

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   

he seems too cocky for his own good...I hope lewis kicks his ####

That makes two of us. I think Lewis will win this one. But as always anything can happen in boxing.

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I think Lewis will win also he has been training hard and reckons he is in the best condition of his career..

He does seem to be a bit cocky i think Lewis will definatly knock him out..!

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 05:36 PM
link   

He does seem to be a bit cocky i think Lewis will definatly knock him out..!

Yeah I hope he knocks him into retirement!!!
Oh well thats too harsh maybe knock him for a 10 count... that would be fine by me.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 08:44 AM
link   
Too much talk, let's see him deliver in the ring. He's only trying to hype the fight up, he can't honestly think he will beat Lewis. I'd go for Lennox by knockout in 7.

new topics

top topics

join