It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Hide on Revenge Mission

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 08:59 AM
link   
Herbie Hide cannot help but think longer term on the eve of Tuesday night's bout against Joseph Chingangu.

The 31-year-old Norwich heavyweight continues his comeback at Dagenham's Goresbrook Leisure Centre against the Zambian.

A second successive win is likely to move Hide closer to a bout against Audley Harrison or Danny Williams - and that is what the former WBO heavyweight champion is dreaming about.

'The Dancing Destroyer' believes he has what it takes to trouble both men - who he does not rate highly.

The 31-year-old told the Eastern Daily Press: "They would be big fights because there is nothing in Britain at the moment - it is low, so low it is an embarrassment.

"Audley Harrison can't fill a place. Audley Harrison is a southpaw and he's a boring fighter. And he can't punch and that makes it ever worse.

"When he started he was on BBC at 9pm, now he's not. If I get a fight with him it will be back on at 9pm.

"As for Danny Williams, he's a pussycat."

"I am the crazy man and they know it. You can't fight a crazy man. Danny Williams knows I'm nuts, Audley Harrison knows I'm nuts."

However, Hide has plenty to do if he is to turn his dreams into reality.

He has already lost to Chingangu - suffering a shocking second-round defeat to the Zambian in Newcastle in September 2001.

A questionable punch proved Hide's undoing and raised questions about the strength of the Briton's chin.

It prompted a rethink from Hide, who based himself in Las Vegas and teamed up with former world champion trainers Eddie Mustafa Muhammad and Mike McCallum as well as Mike Tyson's notorious former cheerleader 'Crocodile', whom Hide insists he has employed as his chief conditioner and 'motivator'.

The first step of the comeback saw him secure a seventh-round stoppage over Kettering-based Scot Derek McCafferty at Nottingham last month.

And revenge over Chingangu will boost his chances of meeting Harrison and - he hopes - rolling back the clock.

He stopped 25 of his first 26 opponents, including Tommy Morrison's conqueror Michael Bentt, to win the WBO title in Millwall in March 1994.

Hide was no match for Riddick Bowe when he made an audacious first defence of his title in Las Vegas a year later - although Bowe admitted several years later Hide was the hardest puncher he has ever faced.

He regained his WBO title beating washed-up American Tony Tucker and after two easy defences put it on the line against Vitali Klitschko - who tore him apart in two rounds.

But if he can get it right against Chingangu, there is no reason why he cannot return to at least shake up the fairly stale domestic heavyweight scene.

TRD

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:00 PM
link   
Man i just watched this fight it was a farce Hide winning in the first knocking down his opponent,more like he fell down...Hide is crap

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 03:41 AM
link   
I appreciate your disappointment in the poor showing by Joseph, but I thought Herbie looked good and just didn't have the chance to make a better fight of it because Joseph folded.

Joseph has lost his last three fights and didn't seem mentally prepared to face Herbie's aggresssive style. Herbie looked in top condition and was going right for Joseph throughout. He obviously needed to erase the memory of losing in Newcastle to Joseph two years ago.

I thought Herbie looked very, very focused and ready to mix it up and take joseph out. In fact, he was so intent on accomplishing that, that he got a warning from the refree.

Herbie seems quite hungry to fight both Audley Harrison and Danny Williams, and I think he'll take both of them out easily. Herbie has the right mentality, focus and determination to re-establish himself and easily defeat most European heavyweights. I believe he could take out Samil Sam also, and would like to see them fight.

Pairing him with Roy Jones Jr. would be interesting, I believe that Roy's superior boxing and punching power would stop Herbie. But that is the fight I'd really like to see because I seriously doubt that any European heavyweight would give Herbie trouble, except Lennox Lewis.

I would suggest that Herbie's biggest problem may be to get decent opponents onto the ring, so he can re-build his credibility and earn another title shot.

Should Herbie ever get a shot at Lewis, I give Lewis the nod because of his size and boxing ability.

TRD

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 07:08 AM
link   
Well Deepwaters maybe i went over the top a bit...I suppose Hide went in all guns blazing as you say finding opponents will be tough as Hide seems hell bent on knocking everyone out..I think he would beat Danny Williams but him and Audley would be a good fight...

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I like him, he's an aggressive fighter who punches more than his weight. You can only beat what's in front of you, so let's wait till the ring rust is completely gone and see him fight some top quality fighters.

posted on Oct, 12 2003 @ 02:06 PM
link   
He wasn't too impressive but won all the same. Afterwards more loud talk directed at Danny Williams & Audley Harrison.

Why doesn't Hide go after the British or Europen crowns?

Time will tell, but I seriously doubt that Hide could stand against Roy Jones or the other top contenders.

TRD

posted on Oct, 18 2003 @ 05:02 PM
link   
I think its proven that hide just lacks that bit of class,but he can mix it...I think the british or european is well in his grasp though if he decides to go for them..

new topics

top topics

join