It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boxing: Boxing: American Boxer Vince Phillips Tests Positive for Banned Drug

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 24 2003 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Associated Press - May 23, 2003

LONDON (AP) - Former light welterweight champion Vince Phillips could be suspended after testing positive for a banned substance.

The British Boxing Board of Control confirmed Friday that a sample taken from the American fighter on the day of his World Boxing Union title fight against Ricky Hatton in Manchester on April 5 contained the stimulant ephedrine.

Ephedrine, also banned by the International Olympic Committee, is the active ingredient in the herbal supplement ephedra and is sometimes found in cold medications.

Two samples were taken from Phillips, and he can ask at a board hearing on June 11 for the second one to be tested. If the second sample is also positive, Phillips might be fined and banned from fighting in Britain.

``The first of two samples tested positive,'' said the board's general secretary, Simon Block.

The ban would probably be respected by boxing federations in the United States, Block said.

Phillips, a former IBF world champion, lost a unanimous decision to Hatton, dropping his record to 44-8-1. He's the only boxer to beat Kostya Tszyu, considered one of the best ever fighters in his weight class.

posted on May, 24 2003 @ 01:23 AM
link   
Uh oh.... somebody's in trouble.

posted on May, 27 2003 @ 07:57 AM
link   
Hmmm not sure what this drug does for the body, but could explain why he beat Kostya? Just me being cynical I suppose as I couldn't believe he won that fight.

posted on May, 28 2003 @ 03:56 AM
link   
I'm very familiar with ephedrine, it's used in many weight loss products. It comes from the Chinese herb, Ma Haung and is commonly called ephedra.

It boosts the bodies metabolism and increases energy. I used Herbalife's original Thermojetic formula that had ephedrine in it. My energy was increased incredibly and being that I had a very physically demanding job, I lost 3 stone (50 lbs) easily.

Ephedrine has been banned because it has many side effects that may be harmful for certain people. An American pitcher died and the diagnosis was that it was related to his use of an ephedrine product.

It is completely banned in the UK, so I'm very frustrated because I can't get it and U.S. companies cannot ship ephedrine products here.

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 08:39 AM
link   
Sounds dangerous!

new topics

top topics

join