It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Nigel Winterburn Retires.

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Jul, 23 2003 @ 06:38 PM
link   
Nigel Winterburn has revealed that the death of his father in April had a part to play in his decision to retire.

The 39-year-old has decided to quit after 17 years of top-flight football with Wimbledon, Arsenal and West Ham and is hoping to become involved in the media.

His best years were undoubtedly spent at Highbury, where he was part of the famously stingy Arsenal back four which claimed league titles in 1989, 1991 and 1998 and a host of cup successes.

Winterburn told Sky Sports News: "At 39 I don't think I'm capable of playing in the Premier League any longer. I always said I would like to finish at the top.

"My father died in April and that made me realise there is life after football."

Winterburn's career ended on a low note as West Ham were relegated from the Barclaycard Premiership at the end of the season and he was released by the club after his contract expired.

"I said to my agent he could have a look around for me and see if any clubs were interested, but the longer it went on and the more I thought about it it occurred to me that maybe it's time for me to give something back to my family," the Coventry-born left-back added.

"They've spent enough time without me around and hopefully I will spend a bit more time with them now."

Asked what moments in his career he would look back on with most pride, Winterburn answered: "The first league title in 1989 when we won at Anfield.

"We really should have won the league three or four games before and looked like we were going to lose it to Liverpool but then we went up there and won. To do the double in 1998 will stay in my mind as well.

"You just have to move on and accept your time is up. It's difficult to accept for a while, but other people have done it and I'm sure I will cope.

"I would like to try and do a bit of a media work, but I will just wait and see if any offers come in and spend some time with my family."

join