It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Football: Eriksson issues warning to England fans

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:12 PM
link   
Sven-Goran Eriksson has warned England fans to behave or risk being thrown out of European football.

Eriksson was responding to a UEFA threat that any repetition of the scenes that marred the Euro 2004 qualifier against Turkey at the Stadium of Light could see the country expelled from next year's showpiece.

The warning from the England chief comes ahead of Tuesday's friendly against Serbia and Montenegro at Leicester's Walkers Stadium.

West Ham's Trevor Sinclair has a muscle problem and is doubtful for Tuesday.

soccernet.espn.go.com...

posted on Jun, 1 2003 @ 02:14 PM
link   
England manager Sven-Goran Eriksson says being forced to keep his players fit for an important international match a month after the end of the domestic season is a 'crazy situation'.

England play a friendly against Serbia and Montenegro in Leicester on Tuesday to prepare for the June 11 Euro 2004 qualifier against Slovakia.

But with the premier league season having finished on May 11 Eriksson has had a difficult task balancing fitness and rest for his squad.

soccernet.espn.go.com...

TRD

posted on Jun, 2 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Well this seems to be getting a bigger problem now..The game against slovakia will not be about the teams it will be the supporters on whom the eyes of UEFA will be most strongly focused at the Walkers Stadium on June 11...

The thing is their are two sets of supporters but all the blame is on england.

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Totally agree, we are not blameless, but we are not entirely at fault. To ban England would be wrong, the problems of the past have almost gone away and fans today can't be blamed for things that happened in the 80's and beyond.

TRD

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by TeflonDon
Totally agree, we are not blameless, but we are not entirely at fault. To ban England would be wrong, the problems of the past have almost gone away and fans today can't be blamed for things that happened in the 80's and beyond.

Yes we seem to still have the Tag of old hanging over us...I agree that we shouldn't be banned it would be a disgrace if we was...If their is any trouble then both parties should be blamed and dealt with but banning is not the answer.!

posted on Jun, 5 2003 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I've already said before that Turkey are alot worse than us. Banning the true fans will be a shame, the yobs will still go to the match, so all that happens is that real fans miss out.

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 10:50 AM
link   
Yes i agree the true supporters will miss out if anything happens...

But what of the other teams supporters will they be out to cause trouble....

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 10:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by TRD
Yes i agree the true supporters will miss out if anything happens...

But what of the other teams supporters will they be out to cause trouble....

What do you mean?

TRD

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 11:00 AM
link   
What i mean is will the opposition supporters cause trouble to incite the english fans deliberatly....

posted on Jun, 6 2003 @ 01:18 PM
link   
The Turks definately will, the police can't control them at the stadiums.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 07:01 AM
link   

The Turks definately will, the police can't control them at the stadiums.

They cant control them anywhere..That is going to be one tough game after some england players recieving death threats..

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Should be played at a netural venue, maybe even behind closed doors.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Should be played at a netural venue, maybe even behind closed doors.

That would make a good solution to the problem...

Maybe giving all the tickets to school children for a day out...Then at least their would be a bit of a atmosphere,them kids can sure make some racket..lol

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:53 PM
link   
If that was a serious suggestion, then that is an excellant idea and one I am going to email to the FA. Won't happen but I think that it should be put forward.

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Of course it was a serious suggestion,it would be hard to play with no crowd for both sets of players...I thought what a great way to treat the underprivaliged,handicapped, and kids whose parents cant afford to take their kids,what a great day out they would have....

Why i said LOL was my 2 kids make enough racket let alone 40,000 kids...

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:19 PM
link   
Well I've sent the email, so let's see if I get a reply!!!!

TRD

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Well I've sent the email, so let's see if I get a reply!!!!

That will be funny if you did,hopefully they might send you back a letter....lol

posted on Jun, 7 2003 @ 04:28 PM
link   
They usually do send something so let's see.....

TRD

posted on Jun, 11 2003 @ 07:06 PM
link   
Well the fans seemed to behave themselves tonight against slovakia,so lets hope it stays that way..

posted on Jun, 19 2003 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Nothing back from the FA, the swine!

top topics

join