It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Basketball: Bob Ryan suspended for Kidd comment

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 09:59 PM
link   
Sports columnist Bob Ryan was suspended by The Boston Globe for one month without pay after saying on television that the wife of New Jersey Nets guard Jason Kidd, who was allegedly the victim of domestic abuse, needed someone to "smack her."

The columnist was also barred from appearing on radio or television for one month. Ryan also works for ESPN as a regular panelist on "Around the Horn" and "The Sports Reporters" and is a regular guest on ESPN Radio.

sports.espn.go.com...

I think he deserved the punishment he received, especially since she is a prior victim of abuse. He realized his mistake and publicly apologized which is good, but I agree with the action they took.

What is your opinion?

posted on May, 7 2003 @ 10:23 PM
link   
there's no doubt he made a dumb comment, but why censor him?

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 12:27 AM
link   
he should be fired...a person in his position should know what is appropriate to say and what isnt, that was totally uncalled for.

Ben

posted on May, 8 2003 @ 08:26 AM
link   
I agree with Osobad, he should have known that was the wrong thing to say. ESPN took the right course of action by barring him from those shows. He did make an apology live but, he should be off these shows for a good amount of time. That was totally uncalled for, I don't even agree with what the celts fans did last season during the playoffs. I mean there are other ways to try to distract players.

top topics

join