It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Favorite Baseball Announcers?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 07:08 PM
link   
A real simple question, who is your favorite active TV baseball announcer or team of announcers?

While I am a Braves fan i don't care much for their quartet of personalities. I thought about this all day and decided that the Pair of Joe Morgan and Jon Miller are probably my favorites, Morgan has a very good understanding of the game and can explain almost every situation that arises in any game, Miller also has an almost limitless supply of baseball facts and does a great job with the play by play. Can't wait to hear everyone elses favorites.

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 08:24 PM
link   
I agree about Joe Morgan, and would add this point:

Bill James, who HATES Morgan as an announcer, feels as I do that Morgan is the greatest second baseman of all time (despite Rogers Hornsby's flashy stats). And he has created something he calls a "percentage player index," which is comprised of four stats:

(1) Fielding percentage, compared to the average fielding percentage for that position in that player's time, 30%;

(2) The player's stolen base PERCENTAGE, 30%;

(3) The player's strikeout to walk ratio, 30%; and

(4) The player's walk frequency per se, 10%.

Joe Morgan is the greatest percentage player in baseball history, which tells you all you need to know about how smart a player he was, and how much he understands the game.

Others in the Top 15 who are from modern times include Ozzie Smith (#4), Tim Raines (#6) and Tony Gwynn (#11). The only genuinely famous player in the Top 15, other than Morgan and perhaps Gwynn or Ozzie, is Joe DiMaggio at #12.

For the record, I am 100% with Aegis and against James on the issue of Morgan as an announcer. Having followed baseball like a demon all my life, I feel like I know the game real well. But every time I watch a game where Miller's the play-by-play guy and Morgan's the color commentator, I learn new things about the game from Morgan.

Oh, and I am 1,000% with Aegis about the Braves' announcers, especially Sutton.

BHN

posted on Apr, 6 2006 @ 09:53 PM
link   
Jerry Remy, no doubt. The man makes even the most boring Red Sox games fun. He's got a great sense of humor and works well with Don Orsillo. Rem-dawg all the way.

new topics

join