It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: Cardinals Second Baseman Womack Injured

page: 1

join
share:
TRD

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 09:48 AM
link   

St. Louis Cardinals second baseman Tony Womack was knocked out of the World Series opener Saturday night by a hard grounder that bounced up and hit him in the left collarbone, leaving him doubled over in pain.

Womack was struck by David Ortiz's bad-hop grounder, which was ruled an infield RBI single and put the Red Sox ahead 9-7 in the seventh inning. He grimaced as trainer Barry Weinberg checked on him for a few minutes on the field before walking off for precautionary X-rays. Marlon Anderson replaced Womack in the lineup.

Womack also left Game 6 of the NL championship series after three innings due to lower back spasms. Manager Tony La Russa batted Womack, the leadoff hitter all season, in the No. 7 spot in the lineup in Game 7 of the NLCS and Game 1 of the World Series because of concerns he might not make it through an entire game.

link

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:23 AM
link   
do we know what happened to him? is he gonna be ok? it looked like he took that shot right off the collarbone

posted on Oct, 24 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
here is the latest info that i could find, womack sounds like a gamer to me, i bet he will be in there if at all possible

ST. LOUIS -- For the second time in three postseason games, Tony Womack was knocked out of action by an injury, this time after a nasty hop struck him in the left collarbone.
And for the second time, he plans to come right back the next day.

After X-rays on the Cardinals second baseman turned up negative, Womack contends he'll be back out again for Game 2 of the World Series, just like he was for Game 7 of the National League Championship Series after back spasms knocked him out of Game 6.

"A little pain, but hey, I've been playing in pain before," Womack said after the Cardinals' 11-9 loss to the Red Sox in the opener of the Fall Classic.

Womack, the Cardinals' starting second baseman, suffered the injury in the seventh inning of Saturday's Game 1 of the World Series when Red Sox slugger David Ortiz drilled a hot grounder that appeared to skip off the lip of the Fenway Park infield and struck Womack with solid force.

"It happens. I did the best I could trying to keep it from hitting me in the teeth," Womack said. "I don't know what it hit. One of those bad hops, I guess."

Womack immediately clutched at the area of his clavicle as Boston's second run of the inning scored, and Cards head trainer Barry Weinberg attended to him once play had stopped. Womack, who was replaced by Marlon Anderson, was taken to a local hospital for X-rays that were termed precautionary by Cardinals officials during the game and, fortunately for Womack and the Cardinals, appear to be just that.

Naturally, he'll be re-examined and re-evaluated before Sunday's game.

"[He's] very sore, but the first X-ray they took [showed] there was not a break," Cardinals manager Tony La Russa said. "Hit him right on the collarbone. I guess it wasn't a real clear X-ray and it didn't show a fracture, but he's a sore guy."

Tony Womack / 2B
Born: 09/25/69
Height: 5'9"
Weight: 170 lbs
Bats: L / Throws: R

In Game 6 of the NLCS, Womack had to leave after three innings because of a lower back spasm, a condition that Womack said is not a factor in the World Series. Womack played in 145 games during the regular season, and had played every inning of the postseason up to the point of his back injury in the NLCS.

He says he doesn't know how the injury sustained Saturday will affect his movement, but he doesn't sound like he cares too much.

"I haven't been doing anything but icing it. I'll be ready tomorrow," Womack said. "We're in the World Series."

join