It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Baseball: $1 tickets in Toronto

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
Game sells out after $1 ticket special in wake of SARS

The Blue Jays sold out Tuesday night's game against the Texas Rangers after offering $1 tickets in an effort to show Toronto remains vibrant despite SARS.

The sellout was announced before the World Health Organization lifted its warning against nonessential travel to Toronto, saying it was satisfied with local measures to stop the spread of severe acute respiratory syndrome.

The tickets sold for $1 Canadian, which is worth 69 cents in U.S. currency. A crowd of 48,097 turned out -- the largest since opening day.

Fans bought tickets at a rate of about 2,000 an hour and SkyDome was sold out late Monday night. About 34,000 tickets were bought for the reduced price. The 16,000 fans who paid full price will be able to buy a $1 ticket for a later game.

I thought this was a nice gesture by the BlueJays organazation, and it obviously worked. They picked a good game for it as well, there were 27 runs scored although the hometown Jays lost 16-11, it must have been entertaining.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Great.......
There is the threat of a virus,so what do they do.......
lower prices so they can get 48,000 people to sit really close to each other.
Is it me or does that sound stupid.

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Great.......

LMAO!!!
Thats funny, I never even thought of it that way.

TRD

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by nyeff
Great.......

Nyeff never thought about that!

They are really trying to stop it spreading LOL

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 03:55 PM
link   
It really does make me sit and scratch my head.

On a more serious note it scares me that they put money ahead of peoples safety.
I love sports,but not at the cost of peoples lives.If SARS or some other kind of virus should get out of hand I would like to think they suspend the season for any sport.
I don't know about you guy's but I'am starting to pay more attention to where I go and who I'm around.I work for a major computer company,and there are a lot of people from China coming and going all the time.So I'am a little paranoid about this whole SARS scare.

TRD

posted on Apr, 30 2003 @ 04:05 PM
link   
Yes i know what you are saying...I posted a thread about the Chinese pulled out of a Athletics meet because of it and i've heard of others doing same...
I've been watching this SARS thing for a few months now and don't think we really know how bad it might be..
I think the Athlete's in all sports will stop for the season if it get's bad....

top topics

join