It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Countryside warfare?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Following on from the urban warfare topic in this thread i want to start one thats relevant to people like me who live in the countryside, I personnally live in a mountinous area.

What weapons would you say are best for this type of enviroment? Im sure they must be totally different than urban warfare types.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 07:28 PM
link   
In open terrain would could gett away with using large bore or presision rifles. Something you can reach out and hurt someone with. With this in mind you can even use optics. Remember though, The best way to engage in combat is through surprise and deception.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 07:31 PM
link   
I'm guessing this is where the long gun would be supreme. Longer ranges and more cover means that rifles are at the top of their game, with accuracy and range being the key virtues needed in your weapon.

My choice: HK MSG90A1

Lots of range, lots of mods, and it's semi auto to boot. Yes, i'm perfectly aware of how much better bolt-action is... but let me have my dreams.

DE

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Bolts are good this is true, but sometimes you need firepower NOW! I personally like the PSG-1, but ihave trained with the Winchester mod-40, Barrett 50 light and heavy, and the remington 700 which is what I suggest for civilian due to the fact that it is more easily accessable to the public.

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 07:38 PM
link   

Caliber, mm: 9x39 (SP-6, PAB-9)
Action: Gas operated, rotating bolt with 6 lugs
Length, mm: (stock open / folded): 875/615
Barrel lenght: 200 mm
Effective range ,m: 400
Weigth, kg: 2,96
Magazine , rds.: 10, 20

Special purpose "silent" assault rifle. (AS = Avtomat Spetsialny = Special Assault Rifle). Designed on VSS special sniper rifle, but with folding stock. This weapon uses special 9mm subsonic cartridges with AP bullets and has integral silencer which can be easily removed, but for maintenance only. Widely used in recent local conflicts all over CIS. Adopted by many Russian special army and law enforcement forces.

This will be the best because nobody will hear you when you shoot.

And they will not hear where the bullets are flying from.

But if you dont want to be silent then you can use M82A1M.

But its as loud as a bomb!

Caliber: .50 BMG (12.7 x 99mm)
Operation: Short Recoil, Semi-Automatic
Overall Length: 1448 mm
Barrel Length: 737 mm
Feed Device: 10 Round Detachable Box Magazine
Sights: 10X Telescopic
Weight: 12.9 kg empty
Muzzle Velocity: 854 m/s (M33 Ball)
Max Effective Range: 1800 meters
Expected accuracy: 1.5 - 2.0 MOA or better

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 07:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kalistenics
What weapons would you say are best for this type of enviroment?

Mortars, artillery and direct airsupport.
The above have been developed for exactly the terrain you ask of. In comparison to "urban" terrain, where these weapons have a high probability for civilian
casualties, due to the density of population. In a country enviornment, be it open fields or forested, the population has less density, meaning they are dispersed and less likely to be casualties because of involvement(indirect and otherwise).

Im sure they must be totally different than urban warfare types.

In most aspects, yes.
To begin with, urban enviornments require first person precision, and more rapid communication than normal. Not to mention less destructive weapons (unless a direct assualt).
Team work is the key in any situation, makeing that easier by useing smaller teams is important. The weapons must no less restrained, meaning only used when authorized and the outcome is considered/contemplated.

Continueing, "countryside" enviornments may or may not include civilian populations. In wilder or uncultivated land, unrestricted usage of all types and catagories of military weaponry become no more availible. Natural resources includeing wildlife must beconsidered. In the absence of natural and public interests, all weapon systems should be authorised.

For more detailed specifics, you may need to clarify.

[Edited on 24-11-2003 by ADVISOR]

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 08:09 PM
link   
What we used in Afghanistan. A combined laser site, with GPS tracking and air support so that the JDAMs can hit the top of their heads! Nothing like a moab on a monday morning

A PSG-1 would be good, as would mortars and artillary. Sidearms would not be particularily useful unless you had a good, camoflauged foxhole

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 08:37 PM
link   
and you must also blend into your surroundings

[Edited on 11-24-2003 by xtrembowhntr]

posted on Nov, 24 2003 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I am suprised that no one suggested using land mines to channel your enemy. If you know the terrain you would be able to defeat or at least slow down an advancing enemy quickly using mines-and these would give your forces time to get out of the area perhaps flanking your enemy!

top topics

join