It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rundll 32

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:34 PM
link   
rundll 32, anyone else always get a message that says rundll 32 performs an illegal operation when starting up their computer

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:39 PM
link   
Rundll32.exe is an essential Windows file, used internally to activate a wide variety of system functions, from formatting floppy disks to handling Open with... on the right-click pop-up menu. If the file is missing or corrupted, you'll have big problems.

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 09:44 PM
link   
what OS are you running? after swiching to xp man it like never crashes!!!

posted on Nov, 23 2003 @ 08:19 AM
link   
I have only ever encountered that on Windows 9x Operating Systems (95/98/98SE/Me). So you must be running one of those.

I have seen many pages on the Internet that deal with that problem, but don't know the links of them.

Perhaps, like said... The file is corrupted. Try finding a copy of that file on your Windows installation disk, and overwrite the old Rundll32.exe file with that one (Usually found in C:\Windows\System)

If you are using a NT Operating System (NT/2000/XP) Then do the same as above, but the it should be in 1 of either of these places:
C:\Windows\System32 or
C:\WinNT\System32

Hope you manage to sort it out, as that error can be a pain in the ass

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 08:51 PM
link   
i had that problem. i renamed it and could still use the computer but certain functions would fail, such as right-clicking sound file to launch media player. i had Win M.E.

since then my power suppy fried so, after replacing it, i still couldn't run the pc.

i determined my os was severly corrupted and installed xp (those m.f.ers didn't include an install disk with my new compaq computer (don't make fun of me)).

so now i run a virus scanner, i hate mcafee and norton's (for not working). heres's one that's free and works great:

www.grisoft.com...

we use xp at work and part of our set-up procedure is to install a series of updates from microsoft. i'll put the names of the files here when i get a chance.

posted on Dec, 4 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   

Perhaps, like said... The file is corrupted. Try finding a copy of that file on your Windows installation disk, and overwrite the old Rundll32.exe file with that one (Usually found in C:\Windows\System)

When I had this happen (it was due to a virus), and on Win9xx (can't remember which one)...I had to overwrite the file in DOS mode...to get it to clear up....

top topics

join