It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can We Get Anywhere With North Korea

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:07 PM
link   
North Korea comes to the table with a list of demands and yet wont give up there nuclear arsenal yet. They want to be considered as a nuclear power. will they disarm? i doubt it! will this set of six party talks get anywhere this time or will they do all this talking and get no where once again? or will they get somewhere and the bush administration get all this praise for actually working on foreign policy for once? what will we have to give for north korea to actually give up there arms?

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:25 PM
link   
I think they apply the same negotiation tactics as with Hostage Takers

It's pretty sure they Won't give up their weapons, and even if they give up a few, we don't know the real number of their arsenal

And nothing you give them will be enough (remember that james bond movie, The world is not enough) well that's it

Diplomacy is a endway in this case, until either KimJong is removed or If there is a giant shift in his personnality (too bad he doesnt have many personnalities amongst his disorders
)

Im not a bush lover but, working on foreign diplomacy for ONCE? I think he's been working day and night trying to get allies for Iraq and Afghanistan... The US is constantly discussing with other nations... War is just more spectacular

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:42 PM
link   
what country in their right mind would want to join us now in Iraq? or Afghanistan? yeah i see why we went after Afghanistan, but we went into iraq without most the worlds support? so tell me how our foriegn policy is actually working? i just think if they get anywhere with north korea it will be toted as this great foreign policy success. when really they should have gotten somewhere with north korea a long time ago instead of waiting for them to launch missle test and test a nuke. the talks almost with nk seem a little to late

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 02:50 PM
link   
If they get anywhere with the North Koreans, it will be because they will have foled to unacceptable demands

(I mean... a light water nuclear reactor? They probably wouldnt even know how to make it work...)

You know there was negotiations about the North Korean Problem since the late... 70? (if my memory serves me right) How exactly were they supposed to stop the dictatorial regime from developping those things? By using strongly worded letters? They already don't give a damn about the rest of the world

And I don't said it IS working, I say they are woking on it, big difference. As for Iraq, I wouldn't like to go into that, but there's an ATS user named Westpoint that knows a bit about it, you could probably ask him

posted on Dec, 19 2006 @ 11:57 PM
link   
The U.S. has models to predict things, sometimes they are accurate - sometimes they are not.

We correctly predicted the fall of the U.S.S.R. However, under that same model N.K.D.R.P should have collapsed in the mid to lat 90's. But it hasn't - the population is well indoctrinated, they have no idea what the rest of the world is like and they whole heartedly think they live on the best place on Earth.

That is why it hasn't fallen, the few who speak out are shunned and turned in by friends, family and neighbors. When someone is deemed a political prisoner, not only is he /she imprisoned - but they next three generations of his family are as well. There are documented cases of people being born,living in and dying in these prisons.

Also - every North Korean is prepared to pick up arms in the event of an invasion / attack regardless of age or gender.

So the leadership has a tight grip on the people and doesn't care what happens to them one way or the other.

That is just one side - now look to the countries neighbors.

The South Korean economy (5th largest in the world) would buckle if it Northern neighbor collapsed and they were flooded with refugees. China wouldn't fair to well either.

So the people don't want change, the region doesn't want change - what they do want is for Kim to be happy playing god and leave the rest of the Asian Pacific community alone.

Sad but true.

Here is a report (with footage) by the BBC on the country.

It's about an hour long so get some snacks.

Access to Evil

[edit on 20-12-2006 by crisko]

SR

posted on Dec, 20 2006 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by crisko
The U.S. has models to predict things, sometimes they are accurate - sometimes they are not.

We correctly predicted the fall of the U.S.S.R. However, under that same model N.K.D.R.P should have collapsed in the mid to lat 90's. But it hasn't - the population is well indoctrinated, they have no idea what the rest of the world is like and they whole heartedly think they live on the best place on Earth.

That is why it hasn't fallen, the few who speak out are shunned and turned in by friends, family and neighbors. When someone is deemed a political prisoner, not only is he /she imprisoned - but they next three generations of his family are as well. There are documented cases of people being born,living in and dying in these prisons.

Also - every North Korean is prepared to pick up arms in the event of an invasion / attack regardless of age or gender.

So the leadership has a tight grip on the people and doesn't care what happens to them one way or the other.

That is just one side - now look to the countries neighbors.

The South Korean economy (5th largest in the world) would buckle if it Northern neighbor collapsed and they were flooded with refugees. China wouldn't fair to well either.

So the people don't want change, the region doesn't want change - what they do want is for Kim to be happy playing god and leave the rest of the Asian Pacific community alone.

Sad but true.

Here is a report (with footage) by the BBC on the country.

It's about an hour long so get some snacks.

Access to Evil

[edit on 20-12-2006 by crisko]

Yeah i remember watching that a while back it's very good. Makes you think North Korea just want to get on as a country although certain things are questionable and the sanctions hit the people the hardest of course.

top topics

join