It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

It's da bomb!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Cover your ears and batten down the fine china Tuesday if you live near the western edge of the Eglin Air Force Base reservation.

Eglin is set to test a massive bomb for the second time this year. Weather permitting, the test is scheduled to take place between 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.

The base sent out a noise advisory Friday because the test is expected to rattle windows miles away and send a huge mushroom-like cloud into the sky.

The Massive Ordnance Air Blast, or MOAB, is unofficially known as the "Mother Of All Bombs" and is the Air Force's most powerful non-nuclear weapon under development.

Rain is forecast for early next week, which might postpone the test, said Jake Swinson, base spokesman.

MOAB weighs 21,700 pounds and contains 18,700 pounds of explosives. It's similar to, but more powerful than, a BLU-82 Daisy Cutter, which was used in the 1991 Gulf War and credited with bringing a swift end to the conflict.

Unlike the Daisy Cutter, the 30- foot-long glide MOAB is guided by an inertial navigation system that receives continual updating from satellites.

Too big for a conventional bomber, it will be dropped from the rear cargo door of an MC- 130E Combat Talon I transport from Eglin's 46th Test Wing.

MOAB is designed to send out a burst of energy that is capable of knocking over tanks and killing people.

The first one was dropped on March 11, eight days before President Bush ordered the attack on Iraq.

Timing of the test fueled speculation that it would play a dramatic role during the "shock and awe" phase. That sparked media coverage around the world.

It was not used, however.

www.pensacolanewsjournal.com...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:59 PM
link   
I live in Pensacola. Unfortunately I probably won't hear it or get to see it. But honestly people what do you need a 22,000 pound bomb for? I guess you could the whole country back to the stone age!

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 05:13 PM
link   
My sentiments exactly, Bowser.
Funny name for a cat.
RUFF!! (run for your life).

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 06:51 PM
link   
I think that MOAB is an excellent name for a bomb.

You have to show the other guy just what you can do when push comes to shove.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:08 PM
link   
I remember them saying something that the bomb has half the destructive force of a nuke. Something like that anyway. Dont quote me in other words.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Do they really need such a big bomb?

It has been proven that a multiple smaller bombs, with their total explosive power being equal to a bigger bomb, is much more efffective than just one bomb itself. The smaller bombs can have a wider radius, covering alot more area than just one.

Why do they have to do it near a residential area? I mean, some people might think that we're being invaded. Why can't they do it somewhere deserted and lonely, like nevada?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 07:41 PM
link   
i think the MOAB is just for show, i mean its too heavy for any bomber for one and it'd be a waste of money to produce in large numbers.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Its only good for the rare times when there are multiple armored compound defences clustered together.

Or if you want to scare the living # out of anything with a pulse

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Or if we need to clear a spuare mile of forest.

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 12:22 PM
link   

Do they really need such a big bomb?

It has been proven that a multiple smaller bombs, with their total explosive power being equal to a bigger bomb, is much more efffective than just one bomb itself. The smaller bombs can have a wider radius, covering alot more area than just one.

There's the psychological effect to consider here though....

posted on Nov, 18 2003 @ 12:43 PM
link   
It's good for thing ssuch as bunkers that are deep underground...because the bomb literally sucks the air out of the bunkers thus killing the people inside.

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 10:52 AM
link   
Wow, this bomb really does suck!!!

posted on Nov, 19 2003 @ 11:31 AM
link   
No, I think that there are just a bunch of guys (scientists) who were like, "alright guys, our 15,000 lb bomb was a success, but uhh...........well uhh what next.........oh I know let's make it bigger!"

Funny name for a cat.
RUFF!! (run for your life).

Actually Bowser is my nickname, the picture of the cat is my dad's cat and we call him Mr. Poose, he's got a lot of character but he's pretty stupid. We put glasses on him one day and I don't think he cared or knew what was going on.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:05 AM
link   
It's just a heavier and more streamlined version of the Daisy Cutter. The main difference being that it is guided and not just dropped out the back of the plane.
Considering the fact that only several dozen will be produced, it is not meant to take over from the normal Mk 80 series of bombs.

posted on Dec, 3 2003 @ 04:17 PM
link   

join