It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Fiction books for survival learning

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Do any of you avid readers on here recommend any fiction books for learning from. One of my favorites is the last of the breed from Louis la more. Its not much of a teaching tool to be honest. It doesn't go into detail, but what it does do is lay out what needs to be learned and or done in cold winter climates. Its also one heck of a good storie.

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 09:54 PM
link   
Unintended Consequences by Ross
Lucifer's Hammer by Larry Niven
Alas, Babylon by Pat Frank
The first one is a few hundred pages but worth the read.
I've read a lot of "survival books" and most of them are crap. Met a so-called survivalist and he had a trailer on the back of his truck to haul all his "survival" stuff. What a laugh! Shoulda just stayed home. He'd have been able to get to all his valuable "stuff" easier than digging through the tarps and bungee cords for it on his truck.
Best book on survival techniques I've read in a long time (you're gonna laugh) was the Girl Scout Handbook. Old printing (around here somewhere). It's concise, has only useful info (making traps, condensing water vapor using 18" plastic, etc.) and you can probably pick one up at a used book store for less than 3 bucks.
I taught my kids survival techniques and the most important one being: knowledge/skills. If you are ever in a true survival situation :runng out of a burning building in your underwear in the winter (as we have), being shot at by wild-eyed schizophrenics (as I have), etc., you really don't have time to grab your survival pack. Knowledge and skills are portable and readily available at all times. And let's not forget our old friend-blind, dumb, do dah luck. It helps.

join