It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Findings Suggest Drought Plunged Egypt Into A Dark Age

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 08:40 AM
link   
But a team of scientists believe they have discovered why the world's first great civilisation, established in Egypt nearly 5000 years ago, crumbled and plunged into a dark age that lasted for more than 1000 years.

The researchers, including one academic from St Andrews University, have produced new evidence linking the demise of the Egyptian Old Kingdom with decades of drought after a study of layers of sediment at the source of the Blue Nile at Lake Tana in northern Ethiopia.

hnn.us...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 09:07 AM
link   
i read about that flood quite some time ago, it was first dated to 12500 BC the 5000 bc dating is merely to give the bible more credibility i don't think the flood had anything to do with the fall of the egyptian old kingdom, i thought the last flood was from atlantis going into the ocean, the egyptian old kingdom was the remnants of the atlanteans, or maybe the flood was 5000 years ago and thats when egyptians were saved by lucifer, who knows history back then is so #ed with it's almost useless to ponder

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 10:55 PM
link   
As with many civilizations that formed around the major rivers:
Egyptians: Nile
Hyksos, Sumerians, Babylonians: Euphrates and Tigris
Etc...

You have cycles of drought and flood.
I believe this article is indicating just that.
Joseph lived in the mid-1600 B.C.
Again, there was a drought followed by a time of famine.

regards
seekerof

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:03 PM
link   
Interesting ...

Do you think that maybe Atlantis was destroyed by what became the Egyptian Civilization?

posted on Nov, 22 2003 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I believe that the accounts given/chronicled by very few of the ancients all atest to a major "happening(s)" that occured during various time periods.
It is somewhat known, be it through legend, myths, etc. that there were a number of major world catastrophe's. World effecting volcanic eruptions, major flooding events, pole shifts, etc.
If Atlantis did exist, it existed as a pre-civilization, and probably around the 8000-10000 BC time period (This is conjecture so dont take it as gospel or fact). In such, they very well could have been effected and destroyed by such occurence(s).

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 22-11-2003 by Seekerof]

join