It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canada to build a Mars Rover?

page: 1

join
share:
jra

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 08:41 PM
link   
Well not anymore thanks to the Canadian Government.

The ESA wanted to contract Canadian space companies to build them a Mars rover since they've proven themselves to be world leaders when it comes to robotics, but the Government has decided not to support them. The real sad part is that it wasn't going to require any additional funding by the Government. They would have just taken from the CSA's current budget (by canceling or postponing other projects).

www.cbc.ca...

The federal government has turned down a request by Canada's space industry to support a contract that would have allowed the companies to build the European Space Agency's Mars surface rover, CBC News has learned.

The decision stunned the companies and has left the ESA scrambling to find a new partner, as no European firm is adequately prepared to match the technical abilities of Canadian firms to build its ExoMars rover.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I think this is really sad and now the companies are threatening to move to the States and Canada could experience another 'Brain Drain'
The stupidity and short sightedness of the Government never ceases to amaze me...

posted on Dec, 15 2006 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Which projects would have been cut I wonder?

We could fund this 100 times over if we hadn't gone and blown all of our surplus on Tax Cuts, Income Splitting and Debt Reduction............................. le sigh

[edit on 15-12-2006 by sardion2000]

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Well, that’s pretty disheartening. I’m currently working towards a degree in astrophysics, lol, might be seeking employment elsewhere. O well, the space program here never has been all that important to those in power. Well, we did make the Canadarm, I guess that's something, lol.

posted on Dec, 17 2006 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Don't ditch us yet. At least wait for the next election this spring(or sooner).

top topics

join