It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Forecast: Severe Space Storm Headed to Earth

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Did you notice a malfunction of your electronic devices? Did you have any trouble with your internet conection today? Well be ready... Earth, especialy North America is about to receive a huge geomagnetic 'shower' after the last major flare that erupted on the Sun. Astronauts in space are warned to take precautions to protect themself.

www.space.com
Space weather forecasters revised their predictions for storminess after a major flare erupted on the Sun overnight threatening damage to communication systems and power grids while offering up the wonder of Northern Lights.

"We're looking for very strong, severe geomagnetic storming" to begin probably around mid-day Thursday, Joe Kunches, Lead Forecaster at the NOAA Space Environment Center, told SPACE.com this afternoon.

The storm is expected to generate aurora or Northern Lights, as far south as the northern United States Thursday night. Astronauts aboard the International Space Station are not expected to be put at additional risk, Kunches said.

Radio communications, satellites and power grids could face potential interruptions or damage, however.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Scientiest say that the next 11 years Earth will be 'attacted' abruptly by mangetic storms generated at Sun's surfaces. Radioactivity too. That's not a good news at all considering the danger this electromagnetic storms can represent for our fragile planet.
I know that in the past, few solar storms sent electromagnetic shower on Earth and few of them damaged or affected satelites. What is scary with this one (considering what scientist say) is its magnetic orientation which if lines up with Earth in a certain way can affect the magnetic field of Earth itself.

Like we didn't have enough...

Related News Links:
www.cnn.com
www.abcnews.go.com
www.spaceref.com

[edit on 14-12-2006 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Yay! Well I hope I don't get a sunburn!

So if it will last 8 years, we are screwed... more cancers and unknow effects on human skin. Maybe we should shelter?

I believe the sun effect our behaviors and the seismic activity of the earth... maybe a volcano could explode or a big earthquake? Or more crazy stuff from Kim Jong in North Korea.

[edit on 14-12-2006 by Vitchilo]

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:15 PM
link   
I remember the last big sunspot knocked out millions of beepers here in NYC years ago. This was before Cellphones were as popular. They were out for about 2 days or so before things could be re-routed.

Sounds like maybe we could possibly have a few hours of peace at the movie theater if something does happen!! LOL

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Finally, some peace at the movier theater!

I was wondering, could this knock out military communications or airplanes ?

posted on Dec, 14 2006 @ 08:49 PM
link   
Thers another thread on this, here
I dont realy know anything about it so thats all i got to say.

top topics

join