It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ak-47 vs. M-16

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SectorGaza
arms.host.sk... is AN-94 the best AK ever?

In a 100 m range burst mode 2 bullets make one hole what significantly increases piercing effect. Overall the AN-94 rifle is more accurate than the M16A2 automatic rifle considering that the 5.45-mm Russian round has a lower ballistic and piercing characteristics (is less accurate) than the standard 5.56-mm NATO cartridge.

Niice!

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:05 PM
link   
Really? which country makes the m16?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirCyco

Originally posted by Monk
did you know the AK47 kalashnikof is the most widely used weapon around the world? I would choose...hmmm AK!

that maybe because the people who make the m-16 are not allowed to sell their weapon to half of the countries that want it.. but yeah i think its like 90 million ak's have been produced

[Edited on 11-17-2003 by sirCyco]

Threw the last half century there were produced approximately 70 million of AK family assault rifles in all modifications.

found this on
Ak-47

AK-47 assault rifle was developed in 1946 by Michail Kalashnikov - engineer of the Soviet Union. Kalashnikov's assault rifle is one of the best example of the basic individual infantry weapon for last 55 years and it is unsurpassed till nowadays. AK-47, with all it's modifications is used by more than 50 countries all over the world. It's construction became a base for a great number of copies, versions, and modifications, chambered for various calibers. However all of them work on the same principle, developed by Michail Kalashnikov.
Kalashnikov's assault rifle was chambered for the totally new M1943 7.62 x 39 mm intermediate cartridge. During the Second World War, Soviet Armed Forces faced requirement for an intermediate cartridge, that would be more powerful, than standard 7.62 x 25 mm pistol cartridge, used with all submachine guns. Furthermore submachine gun's range of effective fire was less than 200 m, while M1943 intermediate cartridge had range of effective fire in more than 400 m.

In 1949 assault rifle was adopted by Soviet Army and indexed as AK-47 (1947 year model Kalashnikov's assault rifle). It's construction was so successful that shortly new weapon displaced every other firearms in Soviet Army except machine-guns, pistols and sniper rifles.

AK-47 Kalashnikov's rifle came in two main variants: AK-47 with a fixed wooden stock and AKS-47 with folding metal stock, intended for airborne and armored troops. Both assault rifles had identicalinternal and external design, except the buttstock, and the lack of a toolkit with AKS-47.

First version of AK assault rifle was constantly modernized. It's first modification (known as type 1) had steel pistol handle, covered with wooden cheeks, and welded with barrels box. Later modification (type 2) had all-wooden pistol handle screwed to the barrels box. Furthermore it had more reliable magazines connection with the barrels box (in case of deepening barrel's box from the both sides), as well as improved buttstock connection. Unfortunately rifle's weight increased from 4 085 to 4 112 g, and length - from 862 to 877 mm. The last modification (type 3) had streamlined butt stock's connection, which allowed to lower rifle's length and weight.

Go to the link for the rest of the article also it has the

spec of the ak-47.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:10 PM
link   
The problem with the M16s isn't the gun itself....it's the fact that soldiers are issued used guns, and they are varied in how used they are. More used guns, require more routine maintenance, and soldiers who don't need to fire it often, simply get lax in the maintenance of such weapons. This happens with AK47s too, just that our press doesn't report it much, because all we hear about are the M16s...

The reason some of our guys picked up the AKs, is that there were limited sidearms available, and some had to share guns!!!
(especially those in generally "non-combat" roles, like mechanics, drivers, etc.). As to preference...this is mostly due to the fact that the Iraqis (who fire their guns regularly, for just ceremony), were rather meticulous in order to keep them working.

The M16 is a better gun all around, as long as it is taken care of...

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Any individual who plays CS knows that the M-16 is better...more constantly accurate....but they also knowan adversary who has an AK-47, is just as deadly if they know how to work the gun right and use short controlled bursts.

The AK-47 has deadlier bullets than the M-16...And the first 1-3 shots of the AK are usualy pretty accurate...the first is always

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outtis
Diemaco C7 and C8 are the versions Canadian army uses. Aren't they?

yes and the dutch uses them also. that is what I know.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:23 PM
link   
The ak 47 uses 7.62 mm ammo and the m16 5.56 mm Nato.
But the m16 is much better calibrated. if the ak47 it would be much deadlier because of its caliber it could penitrate some materials much beter as the m16.
But there is also the user factor. if the user is well trained there will more damage then if the user is not well trained.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
[Edited on 17-11-2003 by U.S. Patriot]

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:26 PM
link   
All the stats about guns dont mean crap. The best gun out there is the one you are trained with, because you know it inside and out, and how to shoot best with that.

As for the Dragonuv, why bother tracking that down when you can just get an SKS for alot cheaper, and much easier? All the punch of the 7.62 and none of the ratchet effect of something like an AK/

[Edited on 17-11-2003 by alternateheaven]

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:32 PM
link   
THIS WOULD BE MY WEAPON OF CHOICE!!! OH YEAH!

DRAGUNOV SVD
The SVD fires approximately 30 rounds per minute in the semiautomatic mode. It has a maximum effective range of 1,300 meters with the 4-power telescope or 800 meters without it. The PSO-1 optical sight has a 6-degree field of view. It contains an integral, infrared detection aid and an illuminated rangefinder recticle. Thus, the SVD is effective in daylight against point targets or at night against active infrared emitters, such as night driving aids and weapon sights. It can fire light ball, heavy ball, steel core, tracer and anti-tank incendiary ammunition.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 02:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Monk
Really? which country makes the m16?

colt makes the m16 and its american..i dont think they are allowed to sell weapons to anybody but goverment approved countries...im pretty sure its law.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by DaRAGE
Any individual who plays CS knows that the M-16 is better...more constantly accurate....but they also knowan adversary who has an AK-47, is just as deadly if they know how to work the gun right and use short controlled bursts.

The AK-47 has deadlier bullets than the M-16...And the first 1-3 shots of the AK are usualy pretty accurate...the first is always

we are not talking about whats better in games.

We are talking about the acctule weapon.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Ive practiced on an M16A2 while I was enlisted, being that it is the standard issue rifle for the U.S. Army. I thought it was a decent well rounded rifle, easy to use and pretty light.

I own a Yugo SKS modified and must say that after all the modifications I love my SKS better than an M16, its accurate, and has some nice stopping power. Though I will admit that when the SKS was stock it wasnt the greatest long range rifle, about 150m Id really be safe with.

I havent fired an AK47 but with my impressions of the SKS it would be a similair situation.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeldren
Ive practiced on an M16A2 while I was enlisted, being that it is the standard issue rifle for the U.S. Army. I thought it was a decent well rounded rifle, easy to use and pretty light.

I own a Yugo SKS modified and must say that after all the modifications I love my SKS better than an M16, its accurate, and has some nice stopping power. Though I will admit that when the SKS was stock it wasnt the greatest long range rifle, about 150m Id really be safe with.

I havent fired an AK47 but with my impressions of the SKS it would be a similair situation.

I tryed a SKS too.

Its a pretty good weapon.

But AK-47 is better in my opinion cause it feels more

power full and is automatic.

Maybe there is SKSs that are auto but I didnt try any of

those.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by daeldren

I tryed a SKS too.

Its a pretty good weapon.

But AK-47 is better in my opinion cause it feels more

power full and is automatic.

Maybe there is SKSs that are auto but I didnt try any of

those.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Russian
What weapon would you use in a battle to survive?

both are nice weapons. but the pic of the AK looks like its from a video game.

but if i had to choose, i base my decision on stopping power. the AK has a 7.62 mm round while the M-16 has only a 5.56 mm round. its like choosing a 1911 .45 pistol or a bretta 9mm

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by KrazyIvan

Originally posted by Russian
What weapon would you use in a battle to survive?

both are nice weapons. but the pic of the AK looks like its from a video game.

but if i had to choose, i base my decision on stopping power. the AK has a 7.62 mm round while the M-16 has only a 5.56 mm round. its like choosing a 1911 .45 pistol or a bretta 9mm

Sorry I didnt post the best pic of the AK-47.

And yes AK has more stopping power but M-16 is more

accurite.

So you would want a more accurite rifle or a more

stopping power rifle?

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:09 PM
link   

accurite.

stopping power rifle?

hell just slap a scope and a grenade launcher on either and they are about even

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sirCyco

accurite.

stopping power rifle?

hell just slap a scope and a grenade launcher on either and they are about even

I dont think that a scope will make a AK-47 more

accurite.

Also a grenade launcher will not take people out at 500

meters.

So you will have to choose one or the other.

More accurite or more stopping power.

posted on Nov, 17 2003 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Its not always about size (.45 vs 9mm) While a .45 has the ability to knock someone down, a 9mm will do just as good, if not better, because it has a higher velocity due to a lighter bullet. The same principle applies when comparing the 5.56/.223 and the 7.62/.308 while the larger bullet has the "knockdown" power most seem to crave, the 5.56 can do more with less. A 5.56 round has a tendency to tumble upon impact, and has been known to bounce around inside a target and shred internal organs. Also most 5.56 chambered weapons are lighter, allowing for more ammunition or other weapons to be carried. In regards to CCQ (Close Quarters Combat) an AK is a very large weapon, where a 5.56 weapon such as the M4 is much easeir to manuver in tight spaces. Another risk is over-penetration, which in places such as a normal wood and drywall house can be a problem. Granted even a 5.56 can plow through drywall, its alot less likely to do that after passing through a target.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join