It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boeing 787 & 797

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 04:47 PM
link   
I'm very curious about the two airliners that Boeing is created. Anyone got and info?

Falcon out...

posted on Dec, 8 2006 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Well the 787 (code Y2) is the replacement for the 767 and possibly the 777-200ER.
It has a carbon composite fuselage, bleedless engine and promises up to 20% fuel efficiency compared to an A330. Boeing 787 site

The 797 doesn't exist. It's rumoured that it will be the plane under the codename Y1 aka the 738 replacement. Boeing has stated that they need a new engine in order to make a truly new plane that offers real advantages over the 737NG /(700-800-900 models). Expert guessed that by 2012-13 the plane will be announced.

There's is a third plane codename Y3 which will be the replacement for the 777 and 747. It is rumoured to de launched by 2015.

In you are referring the the blended wing plane as the 797, that is only a myth. The project doesn't exist. Boeing is studying the BWB concept but not for commercial purposes.

Check out Boeing's sales VP for info on it
Randy's Journal

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 01:37 PM
link   
The 797 will probably be a replacement for the 737. The success of the 787 has given Boeing a pretty good lead(should it avoid any major delays)in the widebody market. This could allow Boeing to concentrate on developing the 797 for the narrowbody market which was Airbus's bread and butter not that long ago.

posted on Dec, 9 2006 @ 04:40 PM
link   
The narrowbody market still is Airbus bread and butter, as you put it. In fact now even more so than in the past thanks to the well publicised problems Airbus is having in the widebody field. It is only the performance of the A320 family that has allowed Airbus to narrow the huge lead in sales that Boeing built up in the first three quarters of this year.

If Boeing does the single aisle model next (as is likely) then it may become the '797', but I wouldn't assume that to be true. It might just as easily be the '737-1000' instead.

Likewise Airbus is currently studying both 'Super A320' and all-new designs as it knows full well that this market is crucial to them.

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Boeing has stated taht theri next project on the pipeline is going to be Y1. Although if the A350-1000 is very successful Boeing could change that and release Y3 first.

Money and manpower are the main problems facing Airbus in order to build the A320 succsesor. They barely could find the money to launch the A350. Since is their first carbon composite plane, they still need to develop their production process (and choose it's site between France and Germany, be ready for this round). And because most of theri manpower is devoted to fixing the A380 and thendevelop the A350, they are short on resources to develop the A320 replacement on time and Boeing can go heads up.

Now if the 787 begins productions with no major hickups Boeing can repeat the process with Y1 and inplementinmg an already streamlined process here...

posted on Dec, 10 2006 @ 03:45 PM
link   
I agree with carcharodon...on the whole 797 thing.

I think Boeing should make a commercial BWB...and call it 808, It would be a big change in the industy, but it could mean huge fuel savings. And hopefully be as revolutionary as the 707 was.

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 12:08 AM
link   
Anh, why not go C-wing. It's more efficient than a BWB and definitely more efficient than the cigar with wings. Actually, the old biplane design (with boxed in sides) is the most efficient but you get all sorts of bad things with that (yes, I have been studying this stuff in school). There's only so much that can be done with the same old planform, the 787 and A380 and their direct results (A350 and 797) may be the last of their kind. I sure as hell hope so, they're so boring to look at. Let's see the Klingon Battlecruiser:

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 02:55 AM
link   
Commerical BWBs will NOT happen until they have served a load of reliable years in the military - you lot can quit dreaming about it, because it simply is not going to happen!

I've said it before, and I'll say it again, there is alot more to aircraft design than aerodynamics - if its structurally inefficent, what you gain in better L/D numbers you lose in having to make more L. Even relatively conservative concepts have complex structure load paths and getting FAA/JAA certification would be nothing short of a nightmare.

There was a load of other work on the Dolphin happening when I was going through - this is one of the fellas homepages.

homepage.ntlworld.com...

posted on Dec, 12 2006 @ 11:13 AM
link   
About the 787 development GE has announced a 88,000 Lbs GenEx engine, enough to power the 787-10 which will be a direct 777-200 replacement. Boeing features this planes in their catalogs (check Rnady's page again and look for the Boeing prospects on Africa growth, there you will find the 787-10)

It's actually less powerful than the Ge-90 that powers the 777 but since the plane is lighter and more efficient it should poride more payload and range than the ER...

GEnx

new topics

top topics

join