It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Testing our empathy:

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Empathy is the capacity to put yourself into the "shoes" or "perspective" of another.

So, a test of our empathy:

Imagine being "alone", and knowing nothing.

How does one who is "alone" and knows "nothing" get to be:

"alone knowing nothing comprehending how to communicate"?

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher
Empathy is the capacity to put yourself into the "shoes" or "perspective" of another.

Esoteric Teacher, excellent topic. I consider empathy to be a virtue and it is a very desirable characteristic. The people that can most help others are frequently the best empathizers.

You have a kind Soul as I admire how you defend people that sometimes get bashed around a little bit on ATS.

God is the Supreme Empathizer and it is godlike for a human to try to develop empathy.

Your excellent questions delve into the Great Mystery of How God Created Himself and the Greatest Mystery of How God has Always Lived. In a brief answer to your questions, I would just say that God is the Teacher and we are the Student.

posted on Nov, 30 2006 @ 07:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Esoteric Teacher

self exploration man it's all about learning to love yourself, to be able to look in a mirror and say I'd shag that.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Thanks GreatTech. as near always, you thought process makes sense to me. We are all the students, but i also think God learns from what God creates, our individual friendships with our creator is what our creator loves most, i believe. to know the creator is not alone, gives our creator all the attributes we know of, when we share in prayer and/or meditation.

thanks GreatTech

Originally posted by Lysergic

self exploration man it's all about learning to love yourself, to be able to look in a mirror and say I'd shag that.

That is funny. i can't say i ever looked in the mirror and thought that, although i have looked in the mirror and wondered what it was others saw.

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Empathy is a great social tool. However, too often we misuse it. Not always are we capable of understanding how a person suffers. If we have had a similar experience, this does not confirm we actually understand. People deal with issues in many ways. How I deal with an issue, and how you deal with an issue could be two separate things.

Assuming we know how someone feels, is a common misconception.

Esoteric Teacher

Mankind slowly emerged from the darkness. A gradual process has led us to the developed society we enjoy today.

To fully elaborate my opinion, I turn to Plato's Allegory of the Cave. I love this, and have read it several times. I recommend it if you are not familiar with it.

We are the student, Yes. But we are the teacher as well.

new topics

top topics

join