It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why the war on drugs?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:32 PM
link   
My question is this, why is drug use viewed as something detrimental? Shouldn't it be viewed as natural selection? If people want to shoot heroin till they die, why should i care? Why does the govt feel the need to fight drugs in an increasingly overpopulated world? Cigarettes I understand do to there affect on the enviroment, but coc aine, heroin? Who cares? Smart people stay alive, dumb people die? Problem solved. Natural Selection at its finest. Darwin would be proud!

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:42 PM
link   
That would have to be one of THE most ignorant things i have ever read. Natural selection?? WTF! People dont nesecarily 'want' to do drugs, it has nothing to do with any form of natural selection. If you had any knowledge of what you were talking about you would know that drugs like these arnt taken till the user is dead because they want to - they are hooked, addicted and it slowly destroys their way of life and everntually kills them. Ive seen it hapen time and time again.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:43 PM
link   
A two part answer, methinks.

Control, and assuaging the public.

For the most part, I agree with your sentiment. However, the problem is that people don't have sense enough to know their limitations, nor the respect of their fellow humans.

Thus, it becomes a control mechanism because people do not know how to control themselves.

I'm for legalizing everything. Only way to learn control is for the 'parent' to let go of the reigns and let the 'kids' make their own mistakes.

However, that theory does not assuage the public, who is completely outside the situation and views the habits of others, sees the mistake, and decides that *they* have to do something about it. Again -- people not being able to control themselves. (This is on both sides -- not being able to control oneself when butting into other people's lives/choices, and not being able to control one's intake.)

I've learned my mistakes. I had to make them on my own.
I didn't quit because of some outside authority figure's threats of punishment, nor because of public shame.
I quit because I realized that I lacked control and self-discipline while taking drugs, and chose to exercise that which I, at that point, did not possess.
Now it's a treat instead of a 'necessary' habit.
But, *I* had to exercise that control -- no outside authority figure would have taught me that.

We try to control that which we know we cannot. It makes us feel like we're doing something positive, when we're really doing harm, and in fact need to learn to let go.

posted on Nov, 22 2006 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Collective
That would have to be one of THE most ignorant things i have ever read. Natural selection?? WTF! People dont nesecarily 'want' to do drugs,

Then, answer me this: How did they start the habit of taking drugs?

Unless someone physically forced them, the answer is clear: ....because they wanted to.
why did I start smoking? because I wanted to. why did I smoke weed, opium, hash? that's right.. because I wanted to. And, in high skool, had I been offered coke or heroine or whatever, I would have taken it because *ding ding ding* I wanted to.

Whether it be experimentation, or social pressure.. whatever.
It is the individual's choice to begin.

it has nothing to do with any form of natural selection. If you had any knowledge of what you were talking about you would know that drugs like these arnt taken till the user is dead because they want to - they are hooked, addicted and it slowly destroys their way of life and everntually kills them. Ive seen it hapen time and time again.

True.
And yet, if they really wanted to stop, they would.
Smoking is the most addictive. I am an addict of this drug. And when I am ready to stop, I will. Until that day, I am a fiend.

Yet, this does not automatically negate the point being made --- anything that alter's ones ability to live is inherently natural selection.
Whether that selection is made by nature, or one self, that is up for debate.
The end product, however, is not.

posted on Nov, 23 2006 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Collective
That would have to be one of THE most ignorant things i have ever read. Natural selection?? WTF! People dont nesecarily 'want' to do drugs, it has nothing to do with any form of natural selection. If you had any knowledge of what you were talking about you would know that drugs like these arnt taken till the user is dead because they want to - they are hooked, addicted and it slowly destroys their way of life and everntually kills them. Ive seen it hapen time and time again.

Who said anything about wanting to do drugs? If talking about the people who are able to moderate there intake of anything. Those who try the drug once and are able to walk away as oppose to those who are hooked due to their addictive personalities. Drugs as opposed to food happen to offer a higher motality rate.

What is great to know that is whe have The Collective here to spew negativity towards any post he dosen't comprehend without having it explained to him like a 3rd grader. Who said anything about the user wanting to take them once addictied? I have know idea where that came from? How did they start in the first place? Have you ever heard of making a choice? Well since they didn't want to as you so intelligently stated, they must have all been forced!! what? silly you say?
I agree so The collective, do us all a favor and think before you dismiss an intelligent assesment as ingorant just because you need it explained to you.

[edit on 23-11-2006 by kleverone]

top topics

join