It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rangel Wants the Draft Reinstated To Keep the Republicans From Invading More Countries

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 07:58 AM
link   
Linky

Rangel, who opposed the 2003 invasion of Iraq, also said he did not think the United States would have invaded Iraq if the children of members of Congress were sent to fight. He has said the U.S. fighting force is comprised disproportionately of people from low-income families and minorities.

www.house.gov...

"In rejecting the draft, the Pentagon has argued for years that volunteers wanted to fight and draftees were reluctant. The Secretary of Defense even belittled the sacrifices of Vietnam draftees. They also argued that recruits needed more time for training in order to handle today's high tech systems--not less. This decision shatters the myth of the superiority of the volunteer military while exposing the hypocrisy of the Pentagon's arguments," Congressman Rangel said.

Since a Republican made a topic that should be closed due to misleading and blatant LIE of a title I made this one to keep it going. Since his topic would be like me making a Topic called "Every Republican Worships Hilter" even though it was only the President's Grandfather giving millions to Hitler even as his son fought against the NAZI forces.

Anyways, it would work. Wouldn't be surprised if more Republicans dodged the Draft for Vietnam then Democrats. Or, like most in power, used Daddy's money and power to get comfy positions to do coke all day. Or like Cheney who got went back to college after dropping out, then got married, then got his wife pregnant only to stay out of Vietnam. Also, isn't it amazing that people who have been to war oppose the Iraq War while people who don't even wipe their own bottoms because that would be to much like work support it? Like with McCain and torture. He opposes it, and was a victim of it. Bush, who considers not taking 9 months of vacation a year torture, supports it.

[edit on 20-11-2006 by HoorahUSMC]

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:15 AM
link   
It should be noted that this idea of his is not to keep republicans from sending our kids off to way but to keep POLITICIANS from sending our kids off to war. His thinking is that politicians will be more cautious in approving a war if it means their own children might very well wind up in harm's way. As a parent I am a bit torn by the idea of a draft. I once asked my dad if he would have helped me avod the draft had I been born early and been a potential vietnam era soldier. He said he'd have done everything in his power to keep me from going. I would do the same for my kids but the flip side of this is that I see how a mandatory service requirement works in Israel and it isn't all bad. I have met many Israelis who served their country and they all speak very positively about their time in the military.

I'd still ship my kids to canada if there was a chance they'd wind up in a quagmire like Iraq (or vietnam) but in times of "peace" the service might not be so bad.

posted on Nov, 20 2006 @ 08:32 AM
link   
If I could have them I'd protect them from something like Iraq or Vietnam. If it was a real threat, like the NAZIs and the Japanese. They wanted to take over the world, Iraq? Had oil. Vietnam? Voted in the Communist Party.

Again, amazing that people who have been in war oppose Iraq and those who don't chew their own food support it.

new topics

join