It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google developing eavesdropping software

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:06 AM
link   
The first thing that I thought of when we heard that Google is working on a system that listens to what's on your TV playing in the background, and then serves you relevant adverts, was "that's cool, but not cool at all".

The idea appeared in Technology Review and says these ideas will show up eventually in real Google products - sooner rather than later.

The idea is to use the existing PC microphone to listen to whatever is heard in the background, be it music, your phone going off or the TV turned down. The PC then identifies it, using fingerprinting, and then shows you relevant content, whether that's adverts or search results, or a chat room on the subject. And, of course, I wouldnt put it past Google to store that information away, along with the search terms it keeps that you've used, and the web pages you have visited, to help it create a personalised profile that feeds you just the right kind of adverts/content.

Pretty soon the security industry is going to find a way to hijack the Google feed and use it for full on espionage.

The term "spyware" might take on an extra meaning if this holds true!!! Be very scared!!

[edit on 11/19/2006 by texaspike]

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 01:13 AM
link   
I understand that it is quite possible for somebody to take control of your phone, camera or audio in your computer while on the internet. I've also read that spook agencies have ability to use your monitor as a camera itself. I don't know what technology would allow that but there is so much we do not know about.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Thats rediculous, a monitor has no way of recieving a video signal and sending it backwards. You have to look into how monitors work to understand that, it simply doesnt work.

As for google's software, yes, this is a new wave of advertisment software that is coming out, but you will have to read and accept a disclaimer before any company will be allowed to run the software on your PC. Otherwise it enfringes on privacy laws, and the company would be sued into submission within a week.

posted on Nov, 19 2006 @ 10:11 PM
link   
Dont install it or mute or disable your mic or remove it when not needed. Maybe now the tinfoil hatters will build acoustic tempest like shields for their pc's

top topics

join