It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistani Fundamentalists Cries Over Rape Reform

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 02:29 AM
link   
The Pakistani parliament voted that rape and adultery should no longer be heard under Pakistan's harsh religious laws. Fundamentalists are going crazy over this and claim that this bill has been brought under the directions of the US.

Photo: АFР/File,Aamir Qureshi,АFР,Farooq Naeem,АFР,Farooq Naeem

BakuTODAY.net: Pakistan hardliners threaten protests after rape law reform

16/11/2006

Islamic fundamentalists vowed to hold mass protests after Pakistan's parliament voted that rape and adultery cases should no longer be heard under the country's harsh religious laws.

At present the laws say that women must produce four Muslim male witnesses as evidence of rape -- an almost impossible burden of evidence -- or potentially face adultery charges themselves.

"This bill has been brought under the directions of the United States and implemented by their representative in Pakistan, General Musharraf," Baloch told АFР.

Opposition leader and MMA secretary general Maulana Fazlur Rehman gave a fiery speech to lawmakers on Wednesday in which he warned that the bill would "turn Pakistan into a free-sex society."

The maximum sentence for adultery by a man or a woman under the laws is death by stoning, although that has never been enforced and those convicted of the crime get jail or a fine instead.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

I strongly disagree with Rehman here. I don't think that Pakistan will turn into a "free-sex" society just because they can't stone the women who gets raped.

Related ATS Threads:
Musharraf: Get Yourself Raped And Go To Canada

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 03:25 AM
link   
4 Muslim male witnesses or be stoned to death for adultery? Fudging hell..... thats impossible. Even if you had 4 male witnesses, you have to ask yourself, why would they not help someone being raped? Of course they would, so what Sharia law seems to say is that rape is impossible.

Psychotic....

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 04:13 AM
link   
I'm so glad to hear that the US is having a positive influence somewhere in the world!!!
I so agree with my government acting to change pakistan in this way, don't you??
I mean, it's much better than having raped women stoned or beheaded, or whatever they do in that country while allowing the rapist to go free to his next victim...future victim of a set of barbaric laws based on the idea that men can do no wrong, so it must be the women's fault!!

join