It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran says nuke program near complete!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 06:43 PM
link   

By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer
Tue Nov 14, 10:58 AM ET

TEHRAN, Iran - President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad said Tuesday that Iran would soon celebrate completion of its nuclear fuel program and claimed the international community was ready to accept it as a nuclear state.

Iran has been locked in a standoff with the West over its nuclear program. The United States and its European allies have been seeking a U.N. Security Council resolution imposing sanctions on Tehran for refusing to suspend uranium enrichment.

"Initially, they (the U.S. and its allies) were very angry. The reason was clear: They basically wanted to monopolize nuclear power in order to rule the world and impose their will on nations," Ahmadinejad told a news conference.

"Today, they have finally agreed to live with a nuclear Iran, with an Iran possessing the whole nuclear fuel cycle," he said. He did not elaborate.

And so, after all this time of stalled talks and the back and forths, Iran is close to achieving its objective. Ho hum. And people wonder why Israel refuses to abide by the IAEA, and insists that it will not tolerate a nuclear-armed Iran?

The fact of the matter is that diplomacy and IAEA inspections have been pretty useless in North Korea, and now in Iran.

Officials have said they plan to have 3,000 centrifuges operating by next year — enough to make enough material for several nuclear weapons a year.

Suspicions also are focused on Tehran's construction of a heavy water reactor that — when completed in the next decade — will produce plutonium waste, another pathway to nuclear weapons.

Heavy water reactors? I thought that was proven to only be necessary if they want to produce weapons? Help people, this doesn't look good!

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 09:37 PM
link   
I guess It's time to launch the Missles!!!

Mod Note: One Line and Short Posts – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 14-11-2006 by DontTreadOnMe]

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ARNOMANNN
I guess It's time to launch the Missles!!!

Ahh, no. No missiles. But this sure doesn't help. This gives further indication to Israel that Iran just ain't gonna quit till they get what they want. And with this new recent discovery of traces of plutonium- which is somewhat suspect to me- ahh, come to think of it: could that be just all convenient IAEA timing seeing as we have an entire battle group in the Gulf right now? Holy crap! I sure hope you are not correct ARNOMANNN, but you might be.

Forces are in place, the rhetoric has recently been heated, Israel's Netanyahu called for war, Iran is threatening again that Israel is going to "dissapear"- damn!
The indications here are truely not looking good. I really am getting worried. We need peace.

But ok, look on the bright side of things- even if there is war, it will be limited, and China and Russia will just do nothing as usual. Right?

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
Heavy water reactors? I thought that was proven to only be necessary if they want to produce weapons? Help people, this doesn't look good!

Every day, I try to turn the other cheek and live and let live. It gets harder and harder each day for me to do this. Especially with news like this:

news.yahoo.com...

The article from the AP states that plutonium has been found. Does anyone need plutonium to generate power? Uhm.. Nope. I agree with you. This is very dangerous. I think it is time we take off the gloves. I think it is time we stop the political correctness before the same thing happens to the US that happened to Spain. Their nuts were snipped and they ceased to be a power. Who will be next? I guess we will see. Maybe the US has already been snipped and we just don't know it yet.

Iran says they want peace, yet gear up for war.

If this keeps up, every Islamic state will have the bomb. Iran helps a lot of organizations. I wonder if their "help" may include nukes. Very dangerous times, indeed.

I can't wait to see what the Islamic propagandists on this site will have to say about the so-called "peaceful govt of Iran" having plutonium for "peaceful" purposes.

"Peace loving" nuclear weapons, I bet.

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 10:51 PM
link   
This is dragging out so much, its nearly getting boring,certainly getting frustrating, if the good guys wernt tied up in Iraq, we would of smoked Iran and probably Nth Korea by now.

We know the truth theyre making WMDs when they have them we could die(innocent westerners) instead of them (Iranian Government and military) and that wouldnt be much fun.

I say do it now, bomb all there reactors and Critical infratructure, Goverment buildings, Ruling Sheikhs, ports, etc ... before they bomb ie/ New York.

If that doesnt make them surrender thier prohetic doomsday scenario bomb the water supplys until they are so thirsty that they surrender.

We dont need to occupy them im sure someone will jump in and say thanks for removing that mad man, now we can live happily ever after !

posted on Nov, 14 2006 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xman_in_blackx
Every day, I try to turn the other cheek and live and let live. It gets harder and harder each day for me to do this.

I sooo hear you man, and I feel the same. But one can only imagine what the Israelis are thinking right about now, with all these latest developments. How many provocations is it going to take before Israel finally snaps and says "no more." ??? This CAN'T go on forever. Sometimes I think maybe it's just better to go ahead and get it over with. Iran's not gonna bend or bow to international or IAEA pressure. And in the meantime, now evidence is turning up that they may have covertly developed nuclear weapons.

Now what gets me here is that: Why would Iran come out saying that they are "close" to completing their program, when they KNOW that this will absolutely infuriate Israel? I can only think of one good answer: Because they are hoping that Israel strikes them first, to lend legitimate justification to unleash their arsenal. But wait-

The kicker here is that Iran, and the rest of the world, may not be expecting what could be about to become reality: A devastating, comprehesive, nuclear first strike by Israel on Iran- which would not even allow Iran the time, or the means, by which to react. Let's face it- Iran has threatened them now so much with annihilation, that maybe total devastation will be Israel's first, and only, response.

Scary.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:38 AM
link   
I am very happy for Iran in nearing completion of it's quest for nuclear energy.

Energy here people, energy!

One more time... in bigger letters:

Nuclear Energy!!

Iran has always openly stated that it is actively seeking nuclear energy, not weapons. Yes, having the reactors will make them one step closer to being able to make the weapons... but only if they chose to do that. There's no evidence to support the claim that they have any interest in nuclear weapons at all!

How long has North Korea had nuclear power? How long have they been openly prusing nuclear weapons? How long has it taken them to produce a smallish weapon of limited threat?

Is it right for anyone to deny technology to people because it could be used as a weapon?

Let's think about these facts.

If Iran desires nuclear weapons, they will be a long time in development yet. We will see it coming. Information, solid information, will be leaked and discovered as it was in North Korea. It won't happen next week, next month, or next year. I would be impressed if they were able to field anything in the next 5 years.

Personally... I say let them make the choice. If they choose to use nuclear power for the betterment of their people (thus that of mankind), then I apploud them.
If they choose to make weapons, then we'll (the rest of the world) have to deal with it.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

That's hardly the only use:
Heavy Water Applications

Heavy water is used in certain types of nuclear reactors where it acts as a neutron moderator to slow down neutrons so that they can react with the uranium in the reactor. The CANDU reactor uses this design. Light water also acts as a moderator but because light water absorbs as well as thermalizes neutrons, reactors using light water must use enriched uranium rather than natural uranium, otherwise criticality is impossible.

Yes, it can be used to make weapons, but it can also be used to provide people with cheap, affordable, and clean energy.

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 01:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by xman_in_blackx
Iran says they want peace, yet gear up for war.

"If you want peace, prepare for war"

I believe that's an ancient Chinese proverb

posted on Nov, 15 2006 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Wow.. if you fear Iran's nuclear weapons the US propoganda machine has done well on you. Really if you fear to be blown up by nukes, fear the US (masonic) goverment.

posted on Nov, 16 2006 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by BitRaiser
Yes, it can be used to make weapons, but it can also be used to provide people with cheap, affordable, and clean energy.

That's true. But the problem here is threefold: 1) Iran really doesn't need it with the availablity of light water reactors; 2) Iran needs to move towards building confidence in the international community; and 3) Self-restricting itself to lightwater reactors would show a move towards non-proliferation.

Iran is the world's fourth largest oil exporter and is sitting on enough oil to power their country until Allah's reappearance. As if light water isn't bad enough, the move towards heavy water reactors further alienates elusive international trust because it shows a move towards the possibility of producing weapons. Not good.

As an example, sometime back the IAEA Board of Governors and the EU appealed to Iran to reconsider their heavy water reactor at Arak, and instead consider a light water reactor- but to no avail. Iran went ahead and built it anyway, KNOWING that this was going to cause increased strained international relations- not to mention raise Israel's suspicions a mile high.

In theory, all countries should be able to have nuclear energy and nuclear weapons, right? I mean hey, God created all men equal.

But in practice, that just ain't the way the world works. Iran needs to seriously reconsider what it is doing. There are just not that many good reasons to move to heavy water, and ESPECIALLY, NOW. What Iran really needs to do is back off, regain the trust of the international community for some time, stop making these insane threats to Israel, and let the IAEA have its way with the place until a clean bill of health is reached.

And if they really have to have heavy water reactors, maybe some day after all this is calmed down, they can. As it stands right now with the recent discovery of traces of plutonium, suspicions just keep rising. Not diminishing. They are SO teetering on being- you guessed it- Wiped. Cause when a baby can't wipe its own butt, you gotta do it for em.

new topics

top topics

join