It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Guy lives off of internet for one year

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I remember about six years ago there was a guy on television who was being paid to live inside his house for one year using the internet to buy all his food, clothes, etc. He had to stay in his house for exactly one year to win the contest. If my memory serves me, he was successful and won the contest. It all sounds like a good idea for a t.v. show, but I think there is more to it than that. As with most concepts that they are trying to garnish approval for, they use predictive programming as a means. People watching at home see this and think that this kind of living may be possible. While it is definitely possible, it is not advisable, as you will go crazy spending this much time alone. So anyways, I think that they are using t.v. shows like the aforementioned one to slowly groom us for a life where we are very limited in our everyday lives. Just a thought I had while sitting here and wondering if it will ever rain?

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 12:44 PM
link   
You're assuming that everybody craves to be with people at all times. Some are extroverted and some are introverts. I see it more as marketing to a certain segment of the population. It would be great for older people as well as the disabled.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:16 PM
link   
Contest? I could have won a contest for this? I do this anyway!! I even order my pizza online. Some call me an introvert, insane, psychotic!! But I like it.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Actually, I understand that some people are not extroverted. The thing is that living like that guy did is not healthy, it is not worth the money from the contest. I liken this experiment on this guy to that of a lab rat. These are indeed sad times we are living in.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 01:31 PM
link   
Would you like it if you were spending all that time at home, without the internet, mp3 music etc. Would you still enjoy all that time isolated with no one to talk to. I think you only like being isolated like that because you have all these things to distract you from that world that is right outside your door. The words you're reading now only exist as binary code when it comes down to it. Its good to go out and experience life. I go back and forth, sometimes I just do nothing all day by myself or sometimes I go out and have fun.

posted on Nov, 11 2006 @ 03:14 PM
link   
I don't see any reason why living at home means living alone - the two are not mutually exclusive.

I'm not saying it's healthy to stay indoors all the time, but there's a huge difference between staying indoors and being a complete loner. I know old married couples who basically never leave their house, but they have each other for company, and that keeps them sane.

Routine helps also.

The internet, too, provides a medium to talk to people without physically leaving your house.

Try living in solitary confinement with no internet, no music, no people, nothing..that's rough. But in your house? That's hardly as bad as y'all are making it out to be. As long as you don't live in a crappy little garden apartment below a crappy band's practice room, or a micro-studio next to a hog fat rendering plant.

Maybe this is the future...

Who knows.

I would gladly have competed if given the chance. As long as they pay for necessities it's a deal.

I'll even trump him and go 3 years without leaving the house. I think I could even do five years...

Can I hang out the windows? What about the roof, is the roof off-limits?

Who's going to sponsor me?

(I do think it's a valid point being made about conditioning people - it's certainly true that the government and their corporate sponsors would like nothing more than to lord over a race of repugnant, albino mole people who are afraid to leave their homes and forever stuck in an endless cycle of toil and usery - similar to what we have now really, but with less traffic on the roadways)

top topics

join