It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Letters to God found in ocean

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:04 PM
link   
ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey (AP) -- Some of the letters are comical (a man asking God to let him win the lottery, twice), others are heartbreaking (a distraught teen asking forgiveness for an abortion, an unwed mother pleading with God to make the baby's father marry her).

The letters -- about 300 in all, sent to a New Jersey minister -- ended up dumped in the ocean, most of them unopened.

www.cnn.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:10 PM
link   
Goodness, that's quiet sad,

Odd how these letters happen to just appear now, the article says some of the letters date back to 1979,

Sad that the minister and he wife have passed, and would have never read the heart breaking letters that had turned up,

I wonder how many people do this still?

I know in the past i have written a letter and put it in a bottle then tossed it to the sea, kinda gives you a odd piece of mind,

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:19 PM
link   
Somehow, knowing that the letters are to now be sold on ebay, kinda just doesnt sit well with me though.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:20 PM
link   
I agree asala it is sad

I haven't written a message and put it in a bottle to go to the ocean myself, but my brother used to...

It's crazy to think that if I did, where would it be? The ocean is way too vast for me to comprehend.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I love the ocean, and i think i will toss a message someday, who knows, it may brighten up someone's life.

The message will be uplifting. I would love to find something myself.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:48 PM
link   
I would LOVE to find a message also. How cool would that be?
I couldn't ever write one though, I wouldn't know what to say!

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I would like possession of those letters, ... I will pray over them and read them all ... and pray on their behalf, .. its the least anyone can do, .. its perverted to read them and not do as they wished.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:06 PM
link   
This is very sad.... but wouldn't it be easier to send God an email? You can reach Him at [email protected]. I hear he gets a lot of spam. Really. They reported it on CNN Headline News just last week.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:12 PM
link   

This is very sad.... but wouldn't it be easier to send God an email? You can reach Him at [email protected]. I hear he gets a lot of spam. Really. They reported it on CNN Headline News just last week.

I understand where your coming from, but in my line of work you have to humour people most of the time.. so doing as they asked.. or 'intended' is no harm.. and no foul.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:34 PM
link   
PuRe EnErGy, that's nice of you. I guess in a way, every one of those messages is a prayer, and I'm sure each one of those people would appreciate that. Cool.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 08:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey
...but wouldn't it be easier to send God an email?

Wouldn't it be easier to pray?

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I just hope the media do not run to wild with this,

Remember that we have to assume that the people who wrote these letter are still alive today, And maybe reading the story on the news in horror that there letters may be read out for the whole world to see or judge,

Its a scary thought in some ways and one i hope does not come back to haunt anyone, just think if you where that mother who had an abortion..you wrote to god for forgiveness, maybe that women never told a soul about that, can you imagine the painful memories this must bring up to her,

I just hope they are left in peace and not hunted down for a story

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by asala
I just hope the media do not run to wild with this,

Remember that we have to assume that the people who wrote these letter are still alive today, And maybe reading the story on the news in horror that there letters may be read out for the whole world to see or judge,

Its a scary thought in some ways and one i hope does not come back to haunt anyone, just think if you where that mother who had an abortion..you wrote to god for forgiveness, maybe that women never told a soul about that, can you imagine the painful memories this must bring up to her,

I just hope they are left in peace and not hunted down for a story

which is why, I wanted the letters, so people stop using them for something they weren't intended for.. atleast if no one else wants to claim them for the intent they were meant for, I will.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:14 PM
link   
I wonder how you would go about that?

That's a good thing for you even to think about,

I would hate to see them in the wrong hands,

of course we all like to hear a story and it brings all sorts of imaginations to the surface of our minds

but i would much rather here the ending to be one of putting the story to rest so to speak

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:15 PM
link   
A few years ago it was syringes and medical waste...this is Jersey we are talking about. All kinds of stuff spews outta their sewage.

posted on Nov, 2 2006 @ 09:22 PM
link   
Did anybody stop to think, that maybe they were dumped there intentionally?

posted on Dec, 2 2006 @ 11:55 PM
link   
where did those letters go b4?

posted on Dec, 3 2006 @ 12:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by CocaColaOnAPlate
where did those letters go b4?

Did you read the opening post?

Originally posted by 1Crisis
The letters -- about 300 in all, sent to a New Jersey minister .....

If that is what you meant by your question, that is.

I can only wonder if the minister did this, or was it our [sarcasm] fabulous[/sarcasn] Postal Service responsible.

Gotta run and read the link...

okay, I found my answer (sort of)...

How the letters, some dating to 1973, wound up bobbing in the surf is a mystery.

[edit on 12/3/2006 by Mechanic 32]

posted on Dec, 13 2006 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Well, perhaps God lives under the ocean, in a nuclear sub or something.
It could happen, yes?

new topics

top topics

join