It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Waterboarding: Torture or a Dunk in Water... You Decide

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Waterboarding, is it just a "Dunk in the water" or is it torture as defined by the Geneva Conventions.

It would appear that when used against Americans it is torture, when used against enemies of America it is not.

A Japanese military officer, Yukio Asano, was tried in 1947 for carrying out a form of torture waterboarding on a U.S. civilian during World War II, and was sentenced to 15 years of hard labor. [7] The charges against Asano included other abuses of prisoners. [1]

“ On the issue of waterboarding, the United States charged Yukio Asano, a Japanese officer on May 1 to 28, 1947, with war crimes. The offenses were recounted by John Henry Burton, a civilian victim: After taking me down into the hallway they laid me out on a stretcher and strapped me on. The stretcher was then stood on end with my head almost touching the floor and my feet in the air. They then began pouring water over my face and at times it was impossible for me to breathe without sucking in water. The torture continued and continued. Yukio Asano was sentenced to fifteen years of hard labor. [2] (p.10378)

Link

Q Would you agree a dunk in water is a no-brainer if it can save lives?

THE VICE PRESIDENT: It's a no-brainer for me, but for a while there, I was criticized as being the Vice President "for torture." We don't torture. That's not what we're involved in. We live up to our obligations in international treaties that we're party to and so forth. But the fact is, you can have a fairly robust interrogation program without torture, and we need to be able to do that.

And thanks to the leadership of the President now, and the action of the Congress, we have that authority, and we are able to continue to program.
Link

Here is a video on the subject, decide for yourself.

Link to Video

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 06:07 PM
link   
There is already a thread running on this elsewhere on ATS. Just FYI.
I can't remember exactly where .. (I'm old ..
)

posted on Oct, 28 2006 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Sorry 'bout that. Referring members to this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

join